In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buying bulk starter rope.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by clemsonfor, Dec 4, 2013.

  1. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    So I'm going to place an order on eBay. What would you get to cover most stihl saws? Baileys says 260-460 is 3.5mm and above that is 4.5mm.

    There is 1/8 for sale on the bay but that's slightly smaller than 3.5mm and 3/16 is just larger than 4.5.

    If u were going to buy one spool to cover all your saws from say an earthquake to your 650 what would you get? To cover most stihls?

    Just wondering. Don't want to loose to many inches if its to fat or being to small.
     
  2. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    How much rope are you going to need? It's rare to burn through a lot of it unless you're running a small engine shop or something. :whistle:

    For personal use? I would buy what you need, when you need it.
     
  3. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Well let me explain
    I picked up a few extra basic starter handles from china to sell on eBay. I was going to buy some rope to pre thread the handles and sell them on eBay.

    And its cheap enough. I can get 100' for between $15-20. If I were to even buy 3ft for persinal use I bet I would pay $3-5 so its not that much more.
     
  4. Guido Salvage

    Guido Salvage

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    1,735
    Likes Received:
    4,938
    Location:
    The heart of the Bluegrass
    Forget e-Bay, order from SJMParts.com. The diameter of the rope needs to match the pulley on the piece of equipment so one size does not fit all. I have everything from 3.5 - 5.5. If you order today it should be there tomorrow.
     
  5. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    I personally am a big fan of Stihl's ElastoStart handles. They're on every saw I intend to keep.

    If your buying rope for an entrepreneurial adventure, then have at it. 3.5 mm is more common than most others.
     
  6. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Yea this is to buy some. Make a few bucks to cover parts I have bought and then maybe put a few extra back into PayPal. Not trying to supplement income just cover the costs of buying a few parts. Like the rope. Buy a bunch maybe sell some to pay for it and end up with a personal stash after I cover the costs.
     
  7. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Looks like they sell right outta the Stens catalog. Stens' True Blue rope is good stuff, it's what I use here in the shop.
     
  8. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Looks kike a good deal if I were going to buy more stuff. I'm thinking on it right now to see if I need anything else and will order from smj but I found the 3.5mm size cheaper on eBay. But if I can figure what else I need it would make it worth it to buy from smj with the flat rate.
     
  9. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    pull rope is always one of those things you need now - trip to hardware store is just a buzz kill.
    I wouldn't mind having a roll dry rotting in the shop:eek:

    But seriously they sell by rolls - cause every single piece of pull cord equipment I have ever owned has broke a rope at an inopportune time - like when I want to use it, and they are all probably a bit shorter than they should be:D
     
  10. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    As Guido stated, it depends on your pulley. But 3.5 is a good happy medium.

    I just wouldn't be putting Earthquake size rope on your 650 (wouldn't last), or 650 sized rope on your Earthquake (prob wouldn't fit good :))
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  11. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Found a decent deal on the bay I will buy. 3.5mm