In picture 7880 you can see the Basswood (was a widowmaker) took down a Maple, pic 7881 is a Birch that needs to come down and the last picture is where the widowmaker broke off. The rest of the Maple is still up so I'll drop that after I get the downed Maple, we also have a topped off Ironwood the widowmaker made firewood of. I would like to get this first but we'll see what area loses the snow first.
I definitely over think, and take every precaution I can with widow makers. I like to let the wind help with ones that could be scary and are not creating a dangerous situation if I can.
Me too. Sometimes it's just a little too hairy for one guy, and it's a private property, so I just bug out till after the next storm. Of course, I've been known to use "creative" means to move trees.
Looks like you still have plenty of snow zap. Hope this warm air finds you. We may hit 50 tomorrow! Too bad I can't get out to do much in this beautiful weather but tomorrow morning I may get out and get that brush pile burned. Can't do anything that will cause me to breath hard because of the problem with my throat. Still can't talk much and it hurts like crazy. Doctor says it could take a couple weeks to clear up. I hope that is not true! Would be nice to get back a little toward normal again.
I hope U feel better soon, the last time I called, Judy did said she likes the quiet! We still have lots of snow even though we lost about a foot, I like the weather so far, an orderly melt is nice.
Like Inspector Callahan said: "Man's got to know his limitations." I just leave then most times. There's one in a tree I want to drop now but there's no way for me to get it down. I'll wait for Momma Nature to take care of things. Either She'll take it down or take me down, in any event, it won't matter either way!
Nice work, ma nature! Send her over my way! I got the broken top of an 18" black locust hung up about 40' high in the canopy. Hoped it would come down this winter. There's a couple nice sugar maples I could have tapped nearby but I didn't want to be working under that sucker. Sounds like a good mix. You gonna bother with the basswood?
I don't think I'll take the basswood for firewood, it's in an area well off the trail so it will become dirt.
Still very difficult even to talk. Back to doctor this morning. I'm a mess with ulcerations all over one side of my throat and the back of the tongue. But at least he gave me some stuff to gargle with that has lidocane in it so it numbs things for just a little bit. Quick get some food and drink in me then back to the same old crap.