In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Adventures of Kevin the Kindling Stick

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by schlot, Feb 1, 2015.

  1. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Kevin Goes on a Cruise (Part 1)

    Because Kevin has no hands, let alone fingers to type with, I am writing down his adventures on his cruise through the western Caribbean for you to enjoy.

    Schlot.





    Dear forum members,

    Let me introduce myself to you. As Schlot has said my name is Kevin and yes I am a kindling stick. Spared from the fiery depths of the stove I was able to tag along with Schlot and Mrs. Schlot on their most recent honeymoon cruise. Here lies my story for you to enjoy.



    We left Northwest Iowa at the awful morning hour of 2am, in a light snow. Getting to the Omaha airport we made it through TSA (Really? I had to go through a metal detector...really!?) and hopped on the plane headed for the sunny weather of Florida.



    [​IMG]

    Once there I was too anxious to stand still so we headed out of motel to the bridge overlooking the Port of Everglades. We witnessed a busy day as 8 ships headed out to sea, making room for our ship that would come in early the next day.




    [​IMG]


    On our walk back to the motel I was able to chat with a few of local palm trees. After a good long talk, we decided that we were related, but only very distantly. We called it a day, made it back to the motel and hit the bed early.

    After a long day of traveling I slept like a log that first night.




    [​IMG]


    Waking up around 4am Schlot and I walked about 4.5 miles to the breakwater along the Atlantic Ocean to watch our ship (the Caribbean Princess) and three other ships enter port. Under a dark sky we waited on the rock breakwater as the ships almost silently slid past us.




    [​IMG]

    On a dare I went skinny dipping in the predawn waves of the Atlantic. That water is mighty cool on an early breezy morning. If I had anything to shrink…it would have shrunk!



    After an quick breakfast we headed to the pier to embark on the ship. Luckily Schlot was able to hide me in his pants pocket as I had forgotten my passport in the early morning rush of leaving home. Note to self, bring all required documentation or at least Febreeze Schlot’s pants pocket first!




    [​IMG]


    Once on board I quickly made myself at home and lounged on the deck chair on our balcony. Even though I’m not a drinking man, it was tempting to order some champagne from room service to celebrate our departure. However, since I’m only a split, it’s impossible to show all my growth rings to prove I’m over 21.



    Around 4pm we left port and made our way south through the Florida Straights, past Miami and around the Florida Keys. Funny thing that I learned about myself. Even though I failed my swimming lessons as a twig, I had no fear of drowning.




    [​IMG]


    Waking up to a breezy day of open water sailing we sailed past the north and west coasts of Cuba. We may have opened up relations with the communists there but I still gave them my “one stick” salute.




    [​IMG]


    That day and every day of the cruise we literally had a feast served to us. We had a selection of two casual buffet and six more formal restaurants to choose from. Whichever we chose, the food was great and plentiful.

    According to ship information the 3500 odd passengers and 1100 crew consumes approximately 18 tons of food each day! I did my share to help us reach that level but truthfully I was worried. Worried about eating so much. Fortunately, even after all that food, I still kept my stick figure.


    Well I will call it a day for now, and work on another installment for you to read later!
     
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Gark, eatonpcat, splitoak and 17 others like this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Can wait to read more of your travels!
     
    wildwest and schlot like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    schlot, you should keep Kevin, the Kindling Stick around.
    He's a much gooder story teller than you.:D
     
    Gark, eatonpcat, Chvymn99 and 6 others like this.
  4. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    I like this Kevin guy!
     
    wildwest, papadave, BrianK and 3 others like this.
  5. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    I recognize Kevin, but who is this schlot guy he's going on about?
     
  6. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,508
    Likes Received:
    95,501
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Awesome story, Kevin. Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to share your adventures with us. Can't wait to see more.
     
  7. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Great story with pics. It was filled with adventure. Thank goodness I didn't see its splinter when it was skinny dipping. I especially enjoyed his "one stick salute"! Be sure to watch over Kevin...... id hate to see him accidently used as a tooth pick, or running off with one of those coconuts!
     
    wildwest, papadave and schlot like this.
  8. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    Good stuff man. Sounds like you really enjoyed your trip.:thumbs: Glad no pics of Kevin daring you to skinny dip.:picard:
     
    wildwest and schlot like this.
  9. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    That's why I kept the control of the camera....no evidence.
     
  10. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I just shared this onto the facebook page :sir:
     
    wildwest and schlot like this.
  11. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    :sir: someone's been busy.
     
    wildwest and Grizzly Adam like this.
  12. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I don't want to hijack Kevin's thread, but yes I have been on a feature binge again.
     
  13. prell 73

    prell 73

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2014
    Messages:
    1,961
    Likes Received:
    3,725
    Location:
    ia
    Kevin rocks!
     
    wildwest and schlot like this.
  14. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    Shoulda carried him in your shirt pocket so he could see better. Jeesh I mean the 2 closest guys next to him where:hair::loco: :crazy:, and the other ones..... I'll stop.:picard:
     
    Gark, wildwest, schlot and 1 other person like this.
  15. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    And anything you share on here can be linked to anywhere at any time, the facebook button didn't make that possible it just makes it clickable. Remember, everything you post in the open forum is public.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  16. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    I can just here some of the people on the cruise, "did you see that guy taking pictures of that stick?" :rofl: :lol:
     
  17. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    Sure he probably wasn't the oddest cat on the boat.
     
  18. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,327
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    schlot, I can predict a similar adventure series coming up this summer. Kevins kousin goes west! (I plan on hitting the western slope of the Rockies in June)
     
    schlot and wildwest like this.
  19. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Kevin for President!

    (Oops, no politics. Sorry.)
     
  20. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,583
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    :rofl: :lol:

    This is hilarious schlot , thank you!!
     
    schlot likes this.