In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tried a little hickory today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by DaveGunter, Nov 24, 2013.

  1. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Sad to see them go...
     
  3. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Only thing i don't like about hickory is all the dang sparks that attack you when you open the door for reload! :eek:

    How'd that handle burn??
     
  4. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    I get the same thing with spruce and birch, I didn't know it was species specific.
     
  5. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Open the door on a load of Hedge. Its like the 4th of July.
     
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    That would be good to burning on Guy Fawkes Day.
     
  7. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I had a piece of loblolly pine or white oak recently, I don't remember which it was but it was sparking like crazy when I opened door. I had to wait like 5mins for the sparks to die enough to shove the hunk back to the back where I could load logs on top of it to keep sparks in whole I loaded the rest of the stove.
     
    Grizzly Adam likes this.
  8. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Make a good fish knocker out of it.
    If you fish :)
     
    thistle and OhioStihl like this.
  9. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    When that happens I save the handle (unless it breaks down its length or in the middle),shorten it a bit then reshape it with drawknife,spokeshave & cabinet scraper for a spare antique hatchet.
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  10. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Yea but ur a woodworker thistle!!