In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Whoops. Learned something today

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by 343amc, Nov 24, 2013.

  1. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    We got our first real good cold snap. The high was about 24 yesterday and it got down to 16 last night. I noticed last night that the house was cooling off a bit, so I bumped the furnace up to level 4. Never had to do that last year except when burning the last of my Michigan pellets. Until Friday it hadn't gone higher than 2 this season.

    Woke up this morning and the house hadn't warmed up any, and had dropped a degree overnight. I also noticed the fire wasn't as large as I'd expect it to be running on 4. Opened the manual, ran through the controller settings and found that the furnace was set to fuel type 1, which is low feed, fast dump, high ash. I know last season it was set to type 3, which is medium feed, slow dump, premium pellet. I changed it and a couple hours later it's keeping the house/wife/kid happy on level 3.

    I'm not sure if I inadvertently set it this way when I took the burn pot out for cleaning (gotta press a few buttons on the control panel to get into override mode to remove the pot assembly), if it reverted to that setting after being unplugged all summer or if it was a fluke. I made a note in the manual to check that setting early in the season.
     
  2. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    There is a never ending learning curve, be it pellet or wood burning. I swear sometimes I ought to make a checklist that I go through so I can avoid those oops.
    I now carry one of those spiral note pads, and I use the camera on the smart phone.
    Your story reminds me of a time I went to the hardware store. I came home with a bunch of stuff on sale, but forgot the item I went there for in the first place!
     
    Gasifier, will711 and gbreda like this.
  3. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Lesson learned and noted so it doesn't happen again :thumbs:
     
    343amc likes this.
  4. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Been there, done that :rofl: :lol:
     
  5. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    Take note Ivanhoe, take note! My turn of unexpected settings is just around the corner so beware:eek:
     
    gbreda and 343amc like this.
  6. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    Story of my life, especially when I'm doing plumbing work. :)
     
    slvrblkk likes this.
  7. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    What are you burning now?
     
  8. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    Pro Pellets, and one bag of Greenway that ripped on me when moving some stash around in the barn.
     
  9. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I really would like to see your burn pot and control panel. I have the same furnace, but because of variations in years, they are so different.

    Glad you found the problem quickly. Mine is purring on level 2 and the wood eater is cranking! ! I normally just use it in manual now. On level 2 it still will shut the blower down for 5 min, run for 5, off for 5, etc. On 3 or above, it's always on and it gets Hot, QUICK!! :)
     
  10. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    A ha ha ha ha ha . That is classic. I have never done that. Never. :emb:
     
    savemoney likes this.