In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking for nice Ash log and firewood.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Jan 10, 2015.

  1. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    This is a nice one!:saw:
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I had to cut a path to it then I dropped it and I was able to cut 17 feet of pretty straight log out of it. Now it's time to clean up and go to kids basketball games. Come back later this afternoon and take this all home with the Kubota.
     
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Is that #2?
    How are these getting to your Amish guy?
     
  4. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    This is #2 that is on the larger size and is 16 or longer. I have two others that are smaller and between 8-10 feet long. I am going to borrow a trailer and move them to the saw mill for him. I just have to get them all done, show them to him, and see if he wants to pay what I want for the logs and delivery of them. If he doesn't I will go from their. I think we will negotiate a successfull deal. He seems like a nice guy.
     
  5. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    Ash market has been smoking hot the last year. Highest prices I've seen in my career .Turn those logs into easy chainsaw gas $!!!!:rootintootin::banana:
     
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I'm hoping to bring in enough off the land to pay the taxes each year.
     
  7. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    Midas well. With EAB heading your way it will all be dead in 5-10 years. We've been really pushing landowners and managed land to cash in and remove all merchantable ash the last 6-8 years. Believe it or not , some landowners even presented with USDA and other media in print about the EAB are resistant to removal. Can't fix stupid I guess.
     
  8. NYCountry

    NYCountry

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,687
    Likes Received:
    11,979
    Location:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    Looks good. Like to see it css asap
     
    FarmHand78 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Gas, that is a sweet one for sure. I'd love to make lumber with that one. Funny that is the first thing I thought about when I saw it; back to the days when I sawed lumber. Dang I still miss it but would be lost today and have to relearn everything.
     
    FarmHand78 and Well Seasoned like this.
  10. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    That's a good lookin ash right there... :saw: ... :yes:
     
    FarmHand78 likes this.
  11. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Two basketball games watched. One for the boy and one for the girl. I brought them all lunch. Then after the second game I watched I hauled butt home and back into the woods. I've got most of that Ash cut into firewood. Looks like I will get a second log out of it. One of the limbs looks promising for 9 feet. Okay. Enough of my break. Time to gas up one more time and finish cutting it. Going to be dark soon. Chilly out, the wind is cold, but their is not one bug in site!!!!!!
     
    FarmHand78, Stinny and concretegrazer like this.
  12. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    That bigger one is all cut up with one big log and one small one out of it. And I dropped one more that was 70% of that size and I will get a good log of twelve feet out of that. Check out the growths on this one. When I dropped it it went off where I wanted it too and hung up in a strong pine. So I left it. I will pull it down with a chain around the trunk hooked to the Kubota tomorrow. Not enough time to bring the tractor out today. :(

    Then it was back to camp to clean the pellet stove. It is all cleaned now and fired back up. It's been a busy day. I tired! Time to go home and relax. The sun is fully gone.
     

    Attached Files:

  13. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Lots of good looking ash in that forest :thumbs:
     
  14. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looks good Gas! For sure you got a nice day ahead for finishing up.
     
    FarmHand78 and Gasifier like this.
  15. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Yes! Getting ready to go right now. I just fed the family bacon, eggs, and toast. Time to go fire up the Kubota and let her warm up for a bit.:tree::saw:
     
    FarmHand78 and bigbarf48 like this.
  16. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    :popcorn: :ithappened:
     
  17. Flamestead

    Flamestead

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2013
    Messages:
    2,167
    Likes Received:
    10,974
    Location:
    Windsor County, VT
    I'm sitting on quite a few Ash trees, playing chicken with the EAB (it has shown up to our east, in NH, but not here in VT yet). I'd need to get a full truckload yarded to make decent money.

    One local site is paying $175-500 per thousand, delivered, depending on quality.
    http://northeasttimberexchange.com/...w-Log-and-Pulp-PRICE-SHEET-January-5-2015.pdf

    My wife thinks her company is paying an average of about $500 per thousand minus trucking ($55-$85 per thousand).
     
    FarmHand78 likes this.
  18. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I'm not an expert on quality and don't know how you would tell until you sawed one up to see what it is like for knots and things. The logs look nice at the stump when cut but I don't think that tells a whole lot. I'm going to sell this Amish man 500 bd. ft. Going to tell him that is minimum I will take. I figured about $250 delivered to mill about 5 miles from here. Is rather have him come and get them. He works for a farmer. I know he has a trailer and HD truck. I'll probably tell him $200 if he picks them up.
     
    FarmHand78 likes this.
  19. Flamestead

    Flamestead

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2013
    Messages:
    2,167
    Likes Received:
    10,974
    Location:
    Windsor County, VT
    Using a very loose conversion, $500 per thousand is about $208/cord. Not a killing, but if you sold a truckload of firewood logs on your landing our local price is about $95 per cord. I cringe each time I put a nice saw log into firewood - much more fun to send them along to another phase of 'life'.
     
    FarmHand78, Gasifier and Drvn4wood like this.
  20. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Here is some pics from this mornings work. It is now lunch break time at camp. Wife and kids coming ant minute.

    First is pulling that hung up Ash down!
     

    Attached Files: