In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Going Skiing Today

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by firecracker_77, Jan 2, 2015.

  1. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    In Madison, Wisconsin at the moment at a hotel. Headed to this place.

    http://www.cascademountain.com/trail-map

    Family and my 3 year old daughter going out for the day. Not like skiing out west, but still alot of fun. Wish we had some fresh powder...I know it'll be ice pack. That's skiing in the midwest though. Sliding down a sheet of ice. :whistle:
     
  2. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Very nice. Great age to get them started :yes: I adjusted and tuned my teenage kids skis the other day. Just waiting on the snow.
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  3. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Break a leg! oh, sorry, I think thats for show business, my bad
     
  4. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    The way I ski...a very real possibility. :eek:
     
  5. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    What state are you in?
     
  6. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Ontario Canada.
     
  7. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Ah...so real skiing then
     
  8. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I want to go summer camping sometime in western provinces ...only been to montreal and windsor which is a suburb of Detroit
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  9. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,289
    Likes Received:
    58,559
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Be careful...They got skeeters in them parts that can carry a dog away!!
     
  10. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Well we still have to travel a little ways for "real skiing". Closest big hills to us would be in Quebec but we still prefer to travel towards Vermont.
     
  11. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    "Stowe is the way to go"
     
    Well Seasoned and XXL like this.
  12. NW Walker

    NW Walker

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    406
    Likes Received:
    1,130
    Location:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Have fun! We are having a terrible winter for the ski areas so far, but I'm hoping to get up there once or twice this season. Great to get the kiddos going young, you guys are gonna have a blast.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  13. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,017
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    So-so winter. Started of good, but then these darn thaw cycles keep happening. Our first day out was Thanksgiving....in a foot of fresh! Talk about getting your legs back.

    We were supposed to head out again today, but I've got a cold/flu that I just can't shake. Hopefully, next weekend. We've been out about 4 days this season. Not bad.
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  14. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
  15. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    I grew up in Mich. You can really learn alot on short icy slopes. Many Mich skiers go out west and kick the spoiled westerners butts.
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  16. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I'm the one on the right. Skiing was fun. Gained much better speed control. Occassionally, it gets steep and I lose control where I rocket down but did not fall. The most annoying thing to me is when people crowd the top of the lift area where you are getting off the chair and have no where to go.

    I saw a few very badly arranged fires in the pit areas and went in there and rearranged the smoldering wood. Not well seasoned at all. Hissing and smokey.

    skiing.jpg
     
  17. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    I learned to ski here in west central PA at Blue Knob Ski Resort. Blue Knob is a 3000' mountain always shrouded in fog and ice. They say if you can ski Blue Knob, you can ski anywhere in the world, because these are the worst conditions you'll ever encounter. (Except avalanches.)
     
  18. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    :rofl: :lol:

    Ice is pretty bad. I love watching the little kids slowly meandering down the steep hills. Jealous. :emb: