Many years ago, my grandfather made his daughter a child's size dresser with mirror and a doll's crib. My mother played with it for many years and then they got tucked up in the attic of his house. One Christmas there was the dresser with mirror and the doll's crib under my Christmas tree. I also played with it for many years before Mom and Dad tucked them away in the corner of the basement. Mom and Dad gifted our two daughters with the set one Christmas and they enjoyed them for many years. The set went back to Mom and Dad for a while and then my brother's two daughters got to play with them. They returned to Mom's place and then when we moved back to this house, they came here and were tucked up in a corner of the basement. Two years ago, Campinspecter and I became Grandparents to a little girl and so this Christmas, the set was brought out of storage, cleaned up and will be under our granddaughter's tree. Original paint and decals. Definitely need work. Mirror was attached by homemade brackets. Washed, sanded and ready to be primed.
Finally primed and waiting for the final coats. Finished product - Almost! I have ordered decals with our granddaughter's name and flowers to go on it but will have to ship them separately as they didn't arrive in time.
Wow....I mean WOW. No present on earth like an heirloom. Fantastic job on the updating of the piece, a Christmas to remember for certain!!
She is a little young to appreciate the heritage but I know she will have as much fun as I did playing with them. Best part is that all four generations that played with the set are still alive. Three to remember the fun and one to experience the fun.
That is one fantastic story! I hope the tradition continues for many more generations. Mrs Backwoods Savage is impressed too. She says it reminds her of a doll's cradle that has been passed on for many years in her family. However, in her case, it is sad that nobody seems to remember just exactly who made it. Still, it will continue on.
Well, our daughter videod the opening of the presents and our granddaughter was pretty excited. I had a large shredder box to put the dresser in and so it wasn't too exciting until Dad pulled the dresser out of the box. This is about the only time I checked Facebook before FHC!!