In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Moving wood, version 713

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by cnice_37, Dec 15, 2014.

  1. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Never satisfied with how many times I have to handle the wood before it gives back some heat... This is 2014/15 version. No covered deck so I have made several different style racks in several locations. This year is stack to pallets, pallets to front door. Not the prettiest thing, but maybe one day when I have a covered porch it will be. The stove sits in that front room to the right of the door, so much quicker access.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I do behold beauty there! :yes: The beauty is in the simplicity and functionality of the device, not to mention the color of your tractor!:dex:
     
  3. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I had planters by front door. I was grateful when he started stacking wood there, didn't blink an eye about the plants! Two steps out the front door for an armful is great :)
     
    milleo and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Yes it is!
     
    wildwest likes this.
  5. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Works well for you. :)
    Nice pallet rack, hold a lot more than the bucket :yes:

    You use the blue tub to put inside, then fill
    then to the stove ?
     
    cnice_37 and wildwest like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Nice idea with the pallets.
     
    cnice_37 and wildwest like this.
  7. Flamestead

    Flamestead

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2013
    Messages:
    2,167
    Likes Received:
    10,974
    Location:
    Windsor County, VT
    Very nice - I've been dreaming of similar things. Nice that you have more than one.

    I built one rack, but got greedy and made it hold too much wood. My tractor would lift it but the rear tires were almost off the ground. My intent was to dry the wood outside on the racks, and then set them inside the woodshed for the burning season. I built it from these plans (the author is a friend and neighbor). http://petersonsawmills.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/press_articles_general28.pdf They take too much material to build many small ones for the amount I burn, so I gave up.

    Here's the tail end of a cord that I brought in yesterday and today...
    DSC04906.JPG
     
  8. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Scha-WEEET!
     
    cnice_37 likes this.
  9. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Nice set up - you just using that for as a bigger bucket, or do you drop the whole thing off?

    I want to get my dad set up on a pallet rack system - problem is, he uses the loader to plow his driveway too, and he doesn't want switch the forks all the time. Thought about reinforcing them somehow so he could pick them up with bucket and chains instead.

    Nice trailer - is that a military model? I have one that my grandfather built that uses almost the same design. Been hauling some pretty heavy-duty loads of wood for 50 years!
     
    cnice_37 likes this.
  10. Flamestead

    Flamestead

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2013
    Messages:
    2,167
    Likes Received:
    10,974
    Location:
    Windsor County, VT
    It was military. Very solid frame.

    I was thinking cnice_37 would enjoy seeing the step he's skipping. Looks like he has at least two of those pallets (see the other one to the right of the door). Probably makes it more worthwhile to get the forks on for two than for one, plus I'm thinking of the times I'm away, and his method means a longer time between refills.
     
    cnice_37 likes this.
  11. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Blue bin gets it inside.

    2 bins total and they get left there until refilling. The biggest problem with the baby tractor is the lift capacity.

    I leave the forks on unless it needs to snowblow or something else. Takes about 3 minutes on and one off.
     
  12. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    I see "back saving work " & " a time saver "
    Hydraulic assit is sweet
     
    cnice_37 likes this.