In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Brought some wood up.....

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Well Seasoned, Dec 14, 2014.

  1. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Below is a shoulder season rack and an oak rack. Both under the roof on the deck. This wood came from racks in the yard and soon the wood shed when the snow flies before it makes its way into the house and into the wood box. This method keeps the floors clean and dry. Also below the ash can 3/4 full already......
     

    Attached Files:

  2. NYCountry

    NYCountry

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,687
    Likes Received:
    11,979
    Location:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    Some gooder stuff you got there pal. The weather here has been crazy. One day cold next few days hot. Perfect weather to work outdoors . Always good to be prepared before the snow comes..
     
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I like that the bucket has just a few small black flecks in it.
     
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Haven't done anything to firewood related except for burning it. Same here, weather rollercoaster!
     
    wildwest, Shawn Curry and rottiman like this.
  5. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Saving the ashes for anything? I've been spreading most of mine over the pile of leaves I raked off my lawn. I dumped them in a low spot near where I plan to put a garden hopefully next year. Hoping that will all compost nicely by next year.
     
  6. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Nice dry wood :yes:

    How many cord in the ash can ?
     
    wildwest and Well Seasoned like this.
  7. fuelrod

    fuelrod

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    3,508
    Likes Received:
    20,526
    Location:
    Western Maine
    Mine go on the frozen garden.
    Hey I thought that yer 'posed to put those ashes in a grocery bag on the back deck?:eek:
     
  8. fuelrod

    fuelrod

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    3,508
    Likes Received:
    20,526
    Location:
    Western Maine
    I brought a "box" of wood up myself, it's the 2nd filling of that box along with 1 load in the "box" in my avatar. Weird winter so far. My boiler is just inside that wall behind the box.
     

    Attached Files:

  9. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    WS,

    The wood looks dry for sure.. :yes: You got all those trees pulled up the hill yet?
     
    wildwest and Well Seasoned like this.
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    papadave , the grate in the bottom of the stove is a real coal saver. Only the fine chit making its way into the ashpan.

    Shawn Curry, this batch will get dumped. Next batch ill use some ideas in this thread for sure: http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/threads/30-uses-for-wood-ash.8550/#post-210226

    bogydave , There is just under a cords worth of ash there.

    fuelrod, ive seen and heard worse. Years ago i caught a nearby pile of leaves on fire during a rain storm, thinking everything was cold. Not something ill do anytime soon again! Nice setup too! Bringing in a load like that makes things worlds easier. Plus boiler right there.....awesome!

    Fanatical1, no, not yet. Yesterday I tried winching up the ash, but the winch on the grizzly couldn't do it unless I roped off the back of the grizzly to something solid. The F250 will make quick work of it in the spring. Id do it sooner, but my winterized boat is blocking the way.The downed hickory is at a too steep of an area since there is snow down the slope. I have logs I skidded in out back that need to be css, and plenty in the woods. Having time lately between the holidays has been an issue, along with no sunlight for us m-f
     
  11. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    As long as it's a paper bag.
     
    papadave, wildwest and fuelrod like this.
  12. fuelrod

    fuelrod

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    3,508
    Likes Received:
    20,526
    Location:
    Western Maine
    Well DUH:rofl: :lol:
     
    papadave likes this.
  13. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    Altough it could be interesting to watch you load a plastic one too.
     
    papadave and wildwest like this.
  14. fuelrod

    fuelrod

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    3,508
    Likes Received:
    20,526
    Location:
    Western Maine
    I've tried it, and even double & triple bagging it. No go!:eek:
    I'm back to paper or a good cardboard box.
     
    jetjr and wildwest like this.
  15. Norky

    Norky

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2013
    Messages:
    972
    Likes Received:
    3,083
    I use the same ash can, it sits near the front porch. Lately though, I've been dumping my ashes down in the drainage ditch where it dumps into a culvert pipe that goes under the road. Saving the can for when it gets real cold.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    If you plan to garden, make sure you really spread those ashes out. It has to be spread very thinly else you will not like the results.