In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Flower Pot Heater

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Daryl, Dec 12, 2014.

  1. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    There are bunch of these flower pot heaters on the net:

    So I finally decided to get off my butt and try one:


    This little heater actually isn't bad. A flower pot was a difficult find at Christmas. It took me about 2 days to find a 4.25 in clay pot. That is the only size I could find. The set up is basic. I only used a tea candle and that was enough to get the pot super hot. I am actually going to need to set it on another type of base next time.

    I so love clay. :)
     
    wildwest, papadave and fishingpol like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    DB , is that your flower pot in the second video?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Pretty neat idea. Just be careful of using plated bolts and washers. It looks as though he is using a zinc plated bolt in the first video. Heating of plated metal can release dangerous chemicals into the air. Have fun be safe.
     
    wildwest and papadave like this.
  4. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,564
    Location:
    SE Mass
    kind of expensive if you figure 50 to 100 watts per candle
    but a fun project for certain and a great resource should power go out

    most of my old clay pots are busted up but I wonder if I just happen to have one or two just th right size lying around ...
     
    wildwest likes this.
  5. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    Yes, the second video is my stove. I wanted to have fun with the experiment and hopefully share some of what I do.

    ok,no zinc. What about tin cans? Are they safe indoors? I have been trying to track down some earthen pottery clay. Tough to find cheap. I am also trying to learn how to fire clay without a kiln.
     
    wildwest and My IS heats my home like this.