In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

smoked venison shoulder

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by bocefus78, Nov 14, 2013.

  1. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    13844378551330.jpg If ur like me I hate deboning the front quarters of deer. I now smoke them whole and pull it. Season it then cover it in bacon if you want and smoke away at 225. Size will determine time. Once it hits about 140 I wrap in foil until it's done.

    Easy way to increase yield and save time. It's also damm good.

    Never mind the 44 mag hole lol
     

    Attached Files:

    Chvymn99, raybonz, basod and 9 others like this.
  2. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,285
    Likes Received:
    66,678
    Location:
    IN
    Good idea.
     
  3. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I might have to try that
     
  4. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Sounds fantastic !
     
  5. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Man, that sounds good, especially cause it involves BBBBAAAAACCCCCOOOOONNNNNN as well.
     
    basod likes this.
  6. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    wish the .270 had done less damage to the fronts on my buck last year - of course the idiot walked up on me @10yds wasn't any heart/lungs to be found:confused:
     
  7. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Looks awesome! I'm going to try that If I manage to kill one this year but so far it hasn't went so well.
     
  8. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,491
    Likes Received:
    113,817
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Great Ideal... May have to try that. What temperature do you cook it too?
     
  9. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Whenever you can shred/pull it or chop it up easily. The bones will pick clean with ease. Honestly I dont check for a certain temp. You cook that thing a little too long and its dry.
    Safetywise, you could eat it at 140 and not get sick.
     
  10. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,285
    Likes Received:
    66,678
    Location:
    IN
    This idea sounded better and better as I was boning out my deer last night.