This morning while walking my hounds I found a pile of seed corn with a red colored small granular/powdery substance mixed into it. The dogs were very interested in it. I went back this afternoon after it had been raining all day. The corn is gone but it looks like most of the red stuff is still there although it is no longer granular and powdery, her are a couple pics from this afternoon. Any idea what this stuff might be?
Yup. ..bait. the powder could be beets as said or a mineral mixture. Isn't hunting illegal where you're at?
Yep no legal hunting on the Island. Lots of people around here feed the deer because they like to look at them. There are also some people who really don't like the deer. Seemed odd that the corn was gone and not the red stuff and I was worried it may be something that the dogs shouldn't be into. I am not a hunter, was just wondering if it could be something someone was familiar with.
If it's mineral the deer won't really use it in the winter. It's mainly used in the spring and summer especially by nursing does. It's main ingredient is salt so the dogs should be fine if they find it.
Is it seed corn or just corn. Seed corn is treated with a chemical that is red And costs 75$ a bushel. If it was feild corn red fluf is just cob flakes. Intentionally bait corn would be possibly mixed with mineral or beet pulp.
Probably not seed corn, not too many farmers around here. Dogs seem fine, found some corn in the yard this am while scooping up the weeks presents. Thanks for the thoughts.
I was thinking seed corn is red as well cause of a chemical or treatment but no one would use it as I am sure it cost 2x what field corn or deer corn would cost.