In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

dried boards

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by mattjm1017, Dec 5, 2014.

  1. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
    I'm making some signs out of some dried slabs I got a couple years ago and I'm worried about one of them being to dry. There is a decent bcrack in it and a couple on the end. Is there anything I can do to it to prevent the crack from spreading further and the board breaking in half? I Have sanded it smooth and plan to stain and clear coat it.

    IMAG0843.jpg IMAG0844.jpg
     
    wildwest likes this.
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Put in a dutchman. Hang on a minute......
    Best way to minimise that in the future is to coat the board ends.
    Won't always stop it.
     
  3. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
    Thanks papadave but that might not work for this my boards are only about .5-.75" thick and Im looking for something a little simpler than that. Granted that does look pretty simple I will keep it in mind for future projects.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yeah, unless you're real gooder, it's not something you can do in a couple minutes.
    It can be done in boards of that thickness though. You aren't trying to pull it back together, just keep it from spreading.
    Ever heard of Intarsia? If you think a dutchman is tough.......
     
  5. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,583
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Could you incorporate some wire into the design? What braces on the back?
     
    mattjm1017 likes this.
  6. badbob

    badbob

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2014
    Messages:
    2,482
    Likes Received:
    9,947
    Location:
    bozeman pass,park county,MT 6500'
    Drill hole at end of crack.If making something you want to last long,fill crack with 2 part epoxy used on log cabins and boats.Revitalize wood with lots of oil.Just throwing out options.
     
    Beetle-Kill, mattjm1017 and wildwest like this.
  7. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
    Holy crap that stuff is impressive!
     
    wildwest and papadave like this.
  8. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
  9. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Go to Brownells.com- Look for Acra-Gel or Acra-Glass. That stuff is used for bedding rifle B/A into stocks, and many other uses. 2- part epoxy, it will work for your application.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  10. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    mattjm1017 and wildwest like this.