In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anybody running hi/lo yet?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by jtakeman, Nov 12, 2013.

  1. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Just from the touch screen panel. But the updates are sent out via SD card. IIRC.

    The little white box on the right side of the stove is the control panel. It slides in and out. So it's hidden when not being used.
    20131113_201219.jpg
     
  2. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    You may find that is the norm for you being in the stone/concrete basement. I'm doing my annual attempt at using room temp and so far I'm surprised. Low 20's the last 3 nights and high 20's low 30's during the day with a lot of wind. Been using a bag a day with the house at 73ish. The key for me is get it warm and then keep it there. Letting the temp drop and then try to raise it eats a lot of pellets.
     
    dylskee, gbreda and DexterDay like this.
  3. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Dylskee, fwiw, setting the feed rate at 2.5 will only limit you on the high end. For example, if you set a heat setting of 5, that feed rate might only provide enough fuel to equate to a heat setting of 4. To get the max btu out of your stove, you would have to have the feed rate set at 6 and the heat setting set at 7.
     
    dylskee likes this.
  4. dylskee

    dylskee

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    497
    Likes Received:
    1,870
    Location:
    Central MA
    Oh I see, I was under the impression that it would slow the feed rate of the pellets being fed into the burn pot saving me pellets. I think another week of messing around with this thing I'll find the sweet spot, I hope.....
     
    will711 likes this.
  5. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    No doubt you'll get her dialed in to what will work best for your situation :)
    For me it's Stove temp mode
    feed rate 4
    blower on low
    then I adjust the dial depending on how cold it is outside from 4-5 when cold to 2 -3 day time temps in the 40's avg about a bag a day . But I'm like you running a wood burner and a pellet burner so neither stove has to be pushed to hard to keep the house very toasty:cool:
     
    dylskee and DexterDay like this.
  6. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,677
    Likes Received:
    19,109
    I ran hi/lo Tuesday night through now....back to on/off for a bit
     
  7. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    Looks to be warmer tonight. Stove was already off when I got home. So auto/off for me too!
     
  8. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    I've resisted switching to hi-lo....I just left the stat high enough for the stove to keep running on a lower heat setting. When I see consistent temps in the 30's, then I'll make the switch.
     
  9. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I pretty happy with my on/off.:D
     
    gbreda likes this.
  10. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    X2 :)
     
  11. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    No on/off with my manual ignition furnace. Haven't hooked the thermostat to the furnace yet. I bought the wire in January. You'd think I'd have done it by now.

    I've been turning the furnace down to 1 in the morning and bump it to 2 at night, or 3 if its going to be in the 20s. Works pretty good that way, although the stat would be more convenient.
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  12. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh

    I have the state hooked up and still run manual. Never go over level 2 (of 5) and it's got to be in the 20 ' s or lower to use 2.

    I just let the Eurostar even out the temps if it drops any. Besides, the part of the house that has ZERO ducts, is where the Eurostar is. So those 2 rooms get the coldest.
     
  13. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,677
    Likes Received:
    19,109
    I think tonight I am officially hi/lo until March....
     
  14. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    20°'s again tonight. .. I would probably run the Enerzone hi/low if it was gonna be 30° or slightly above. The Fahrenheit was just called into duty!! Gonna run level 2 until bed. Then switch to level 1 and load the wood eater up to the gills!!

    Should keep it all around the 72° mark :)

    20131113_191823.jpg
     
    gbreda and eatonpcat like this.
  15. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,677
    Likes Received:
    19,109
    I also change my swing to .5 degrees so in hi/lo my temp stays exactly to where I set it
     
    jtakeman and imacman like this.
  16. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Good idea.....I'll be trying that when I go to Hi-Lo tonight
     
  17. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    The only way the 25-PDVC works when hooked up to a T-Stat. LOL

    Our Harman was off in the afternoon and then came on automatically, it will probably ramp down overnight but may not go off till tomorrow if it gets warm during the day. LOL
     
  18. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hi Dexter, very nice features for good flexibility! Do you have to scrape the burnpot every day?
     
  19. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    No scraping. Don't see the point?

    Harman is bottom feed, but the pot has a steep angle to it. Enerzone does not. Therefore it pushes ash, very easily.