In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ackkkkk! Holiday Sales... and Gifts?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by wildwest, Dec 1, 2014.

  1. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    My deal sites are sending me many alerts for wonderful stuff at great prices! :banana: The thing is, after combining our main home with the camp, we don't need anything :doh::thumbs::doh: ? Also, after last years remodel to the camp both of us are tired of writing checks :rofl: :lol: I actually need start sorting through kitchen items, we have duplicate cookware, e- can openers, toasters, etc that need be donated to bless someone else.

    So far I have a bedspread for our toddlers big girl bed, and a hand held computer device ordered for her. She has too many toys as it is and I expect we will see more from grandparents come Christmas. He will go to the dollar store for a few more items to wrap up for her for the excitement of opening Christmas presents :)

    Extended family will get gift certificates from us, best choice in this situation lol......

    After a couple decades I don't know what to get my husband this year:picard:, and he asked me what I wanted and I don't know!! We don't do a whole lot for eachothers bdays or our anniversary (last year was # 20) but we usually did Christmas gifts. Could we call this years gift a new tradition in our new home? Maybe spend a bit more of the dinner and fixings or decorations?

    Thanks for reading my minutia:loco: :crazy:
     
    Loon, Backwoods Savage, jetjr and 3 others like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    You might get inspired with a little cyber Monday surfing. There must be some personal type things DH would enjoy.
    My wife gets so POed at me because I give her a list out of necessity not want. Blue jeans, socks replacement tools etc. It makes me happy to have what I need, I'm a no frills kind of fella.
     
  3. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    No worries, I will be window shopping from my computer on the cyber monday deals :thumbs: though we are both necessity gift peeps :picard:
     
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Well, my personal opinion on the black friday thing is that it's just another day if you don't actually need stuff.
    If you need stuff, then sort through the detritus to find something good that you need and take advantage of the sale price.
    My wife and I are similar in that we also don't do gifts much. We save the gift giving for the grandkids, mostly.
    Although they're getting a little older now, it's still fun to watch when they open stuff.
    This will be the first year we've done much decorating in a while too, but the grandkids will be coming up for a couple days, so we're doing some.
    Sense a theme here. It's about the gkids, I guess.:thumbs:
    I bought an inexpensive blu-ray player yesterday (our old dvd player died), and we may end up agreeing that it's OUR Christmas present.:rofl: :lol:
     
  5. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire
    Get him one of these:

    http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-TK35UE-Flashlight-EdisonBright-batteries/dp/B00JNKD1ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417457208&sr=8-1&keywords=fenix tk35 ue

    I just picked one up for myself a few weeks back and it's great. It might seem like a lot of money for a flashlight but it's a very well built and dependable piece of equipment. Plus it's a practical gift that he will probably use. It puts out a hell of a lot of light. Mine certainly came in handy with the recent power outage.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Gifts and cards are something we cut back on, way back, many, many moons ago. One year we got to figuring expenses and were amazed. We had already agreed that Christmas was going the wrong direction. Rather than being about Christ, it was Santa and buy, buy, buy, spend, spend, spend. We do not believe that is what Christmas is. However, this does not mean we don't give gifts but they are usually few and far between. My wife is a fine baker too so naturally many get some goodies (If I don't get them first.) from her.
     
  7. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    Retailers love gift cards because a large portion of them get lost or never get used.
     
  8. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I FOUND HIS GIFT!!

    I was reading Beetle-Kill thread on vacuum sealing ammo storage. It jogged my memory that hubby still has our former Brittany's very last hunt's quail vacuum packed in game freezer! I doubt it will be done by Christmas but I KNOW he will be thrilled it's in the process :) LOL, he just hung up her other mounted birds in our new home and left smaller space in the middle that quail. It was the hunt of a lifetime for that ol girl!

    :banana::dancer::banana:
     
  9. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I'm afraid gift cards are my only choice for extended family.
     
  10. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Anyone remember the SNL skit with church lady showing how switching a couple letters around Santa was really Satan.
     
  11. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    "Church Lady" was awesome. Hilarious.
     
    My IS heats my home and wildwest like this.
  12. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire
    Church Lady was very funny but I found Dana Carvey doing Ross Perot even funnier.


    "Can I finish?"
     
    wildwest and eatonpcat like this.
  13. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Are you going to have that Quail mounted? Those are the surprise gifts that really mean a lot.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  14. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    The reports I read about people almost killing each other on Black Friday just leave me ... sad. The radical commercialization of Christmas and Easter just leave me cold. Thanksgiving is almost as bad.
    You want to go nuts?? Celebrate Cinco-de-Mayo! Now there's a date to celebrate!! (not really, even true Mexicans scratch their heads about celebrating that one)
     
    wildwest likes this.
  15. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    BK, I am having trouble with this one, I think he may prefer the taxidermist that did the other birds? We have a couple taxidermists around here but that would not be cool if he intended it use that particular man on the quail. The current mounts are all on some sort of stone looking base, and posed, I worry it may not be mounted the way he imagined it, but I have no idea who the guy he was using for everything else.... He was in Colo, but moved and husband actually shipped some animals out to him after he moved. I think it was an M state, but could not tell you MT, MO, MN etc.

    Any advice?
     
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  16. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    He has someone he likes, so stick with that person. Due to time of year, it probably won't happen for a few months so a Christmas surprise is unlikely.
    You can be 90% truthful asking him who did the other mounts, just "jokingly" state you might want a "jackalope" mount for someone- as a gag gift- and you don't want to use anyone around Douglas. Who does he suggest??
    You can then help with the mount design, based on it's intended location. Time frame won't matter, if it just "shows-up" , play dumb until he stands there for about 10 minutes trying to figure out what he's actually looking at. Then just a simple- "Honey, Merry late Christmas."-.... and smile.
    Keep some Kleenex handy if that quail was really special. Good luck.
     
  17. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Muaaahahahah, excellent plan :smoke:
     
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  18. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    My computer was hacked, due to the #404 Man-code, I admit to nothing.

    Good luck, it should work. :)
     
    My IS heats my home and wildwest like this.
  19. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Duh, I just asked him, said someone from FHC wanted to know :) He could not remember the name, but said Rifle Colorado. Hmm way off on the M state :rofl: :lol: The M must have been picking up large game mounted there then shipped here.:whistle: I will make phone calls as soon as he is better and can leave the house (flu).

    :rootintootin:
     
  20. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Turkey Creek or Elk Creek taxidermy, both are close but not in Rifle. Give 'em a call, see if they have records. Good luck.
     
    papadave and wildwest like this.