In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why are used and homemade log splitters more expensive than new ones?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Freakingstang, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

I was looking into bypass valves as well... I have a few single spool valves and little cylinders laying around here.

Because it is a midget tractor with minimal onboard hyd capacity and only 6gpm, that is why I'm thinking a stand alone pto pump setup. I've already found a couple used. I'm not sure where I would put a 15-20 gallIon tank. I have a 10 gallon tank already... unless I use a huge chunk of box tube as a cross pivot as a tank that the bean would sit on top of when horizontal. I was thinking the 10 gallon round tank would fit perfect between the 3 point arms and top link, then quick connect lines to the pump mounted on the pto. I have no experience with the PTO mounted pumps though... and I'd likely need the bypass mounted on the tractors side of the setup (in my head anyway, just incase the pto would be engaged without having anything connected, unless I make a short bypass hose to use when the splitter isn't in use.

And I didn't mention the fold down and adjustable box tube legs. I was going to add one on each end, that had different adjustment holes for uneven ground.

jetjr likes this.
  2. rookie1

rookie1

Pallet Pete likes this.
  3. Tiewire

Tiewire

Nothing compared to Kevins splitter, but if you make your own it will work for exactly how you need it to. I needed to be able to pull mine around with my 4 wheeler. I don't believe I could with one much heavier than what I have.

DSCN0844.JPG

Oliver1655, the GOAT and Pallet Pete like this.
  4. Mastermind

Mastermind

You guys have got some mad skills.

5. jetjr

jetjr

Made mine out of a homemade 3pt splitter, an old wheelhorse mower, a speeCo pump and new hoses. I used quick connects use the wheelhorse as a little mobile hydraulic pack. It ain't pretty but redneck engineering at its finest. PHOTO_20140602_172201.jpg

6. nsmaple

nsmaple

Dang, that's nice looking. I also need to be able to use mine with an ATV. Is that from scratch or did you start with a lesser splitter?

Also wondering vertical vs. boom, since you've got both (I think) - do you find you hardly use one vs. the other, or do they both see their use?

7. Tiewire

Tiewire

It was made from scratch. When I made the splitter it would go horizontal or vertical. I guess it could still go vertical but don't know why I would want to. The boom is a life saver to my back. I wont ever be splitting vertical again as horizontal works much better for me.

nsmaple and the GOAT like this.
  8. Tiewire

Tiewire

IMG_0001.jpg

Sorry nsmaple this is what it looked like when first made. The boom was an after thought when I split a bunch of big wood vertically and my back hurt for a month afterwards.

nsmaple and the GOAT like this.
  9. nsmaple

nsmaple

Lotsa nice in that pic. Great job - that would be right up my alley for how I use a splitter.