In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why are used and homemade log splitters more expensive than new ones?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Freakingstang, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

I've been searching for a used log splitter for a few months now on CL, and local classifieds. I've seen a few that were 100-200 bucks less than a new one, but most are the same or more than a quality new manufactured one can be bought for. And then there are the home made gems that are worth 1500-1850? Seriously, where do I get some of the stuff they are smoking?

lmbrman and wildwest like this.
  2. cnice_37

cnice_37

3. Certified106

Certified106

:sherlock::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

4. Certified106

Certified106

I think the reason they are so expensive has to do with the fact that many people who build one look at the time that they had in it and want to recoup some of that money. Also every time I priced out building one it came out way more cost effective to buy since I would have had to buy everything. If you have some of the materials laying around it wouldn't be nearly as bad but when when you are buying one of this and one that it is VERY expensive compared to a factory buying stock and material in huge quantities. Just my 2 cents worth.

5. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Totally agree, making your own means buying individual components and that is more costly than buying a splitter from the manufacturer. I'm sure an individually made splitter would be better quality but still more $$.

6. splitoak

splitoak

I dunno

jetjr and wildwest like this.
  7. fox9988

fox9988

Same here. Stihls and splitters are usually cheaper new.

8. Carbine

Carbine

I got lucky and snagged one from putting up a wanted ad on CL. Not what you want to do if you need one quickly, but ya might find a deal from someone that quit burning, or wanting to exchange it for some holiday cash.

jetjr, HDRock, Certified106 and 2 others like this.
  9. the GOAT

the GOAT Banned

I'll have over 3 grand into my homemade splitter. It's better in every imaginable way then a cheap box store made in china model. I sure ain't going to sell it for 899.

jetjr, Oliver1655, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  10. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Every time it put a wanted add up, I get tons of bs and scam crap. I'm actually on my way home from picking up a 3point splitter for 200 bucks. Not sure if I'm going to put a seperate engine on it and make it tilt, or get a pto pump and be done with it.. Figured the valve and cylinder were worth that.

11. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Pics of said splitter. Why on earth did you spend 3k! Processor? I have nothing against home made stuff. I used to weld construction equipment frames. I built a front end loader for my tractor, but 3k in a splitter? C'mon. I want to see what a 3k splitter someone built looks like. Better have a 4cyl diesel on it for that.

wildwest and My IS heats my home like this.
  12. Carbine

Carbine

Ya I know what ya mean. I think I got lucky on mine to be honest. Good luck with yours btw, doesnt sound like a bad deal at all..

wildwest likes this.
  13. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

I have this turd... Is so tiny, it's cute, it's pocket sized. 3.5 hp of fury. It's also sooooo slow. Somehow it was labeled as a 20ton. I gave 250 bucks for it years ago and used it only for knotted up stuff. It was easier to split by hand. I could pick it up and load it by myself. It was surprisingly strong for what it was though. It made my back hurt being down so low. Hyd capacity is about one gallon total. Lmfao. I want something that will split big stuff fairly fast, something with a 4 or 6 way wedge on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. the GOAT

the GOAT Banned

1200 lbs of steel. 5x36x2.5 3000 psi cylinder. 28gpm. 25 gallons of hydraulic fluid. Log lift, adjustable 4, 6 and 10 way wedges. Out feed table. NOS Liquid cooled v twin engine. Auto cycle valve. 3/4" lines. All USA made hydraulic components.

It adds up fast. I don't need a processor because I get tree service wood dropped off and usually cut to length for free.

jetjr, HDRock, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  15. 288lite

288lite

image.jpg I would hate to guess how much I have in this splitter but I have used other ones and this is a time/back saver

jetjr, Todd 2, OhioStihl and 9 others like this.
  16. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

was dark once I picked this up, but my 200 dollar craiglist gem. 3point, 22" 4.5" cross cylinder, auto return valve. going to rehab it and think about making it a tiltable horizontal/verticle unit. Not sure if i will put a spare motor I have on it, or buy a good sized PTO hydraulic pump to put on the little kubota. The kubota doesn't have remotes and the onboard is only 6gpm. If I make it tilt, It will get a new sliding wedge on it with a 4 or 6 way knife edge. If i leave it alone, i'll add a log lift to it. I'll do a seperate build thread over the winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    My 22 ton Speeco has a sticker that says "Assembled in the USA" (Blount International which is Speeco , Huskee & Oregon ...>>> ?)
    I have a pretty good guess where most or all the parts are from . :)
    DSCF4373.JPG

Many suppliers & distributers for log splitter parts.
    Wonder where they buying the parts , direct from the factory or from another supplier ? :)
    & the how much their mark up is ?

Home made one is "Made in in the USA " with foreign parts LOL :)
    & any welder here deserves Davis Bacon wages :thumbs:
    + You get the natural color, rusty brown
    & always get a few "Make do" Parts, so every one is "a one in a kind original"

Patience:seasoned:
    You are log splitter shopping "Prime Time"
    Best prices, shopping time: Spring for log splitters, Winter for boats :)

Like said
    You can't build one for the cost you can buy a new one .
    Not even sure if you can buy the parts for the cost of one.

jetjr and HDRock like this.
  18. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

Now that is an awesome set up :eek:

How bout more pics of that truck?

Oliver1655 likes this.
  19. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

i didn't say I disagreed. I've been looking pretty regular for over a year. seems new ones get used and go up in value. seems old beat up 40 year old home made ones were a better investment than gold.

you can buy the parts right, if you are patient and shop wisely. Sure, I could order everything tomorrow and have 5K in parts, or I could collect them and build my own a heckava lot cheaper than a 1500 dollar used 1200 dollar splitter. I can afford my time, it doesn't cost me money out of pocket.

jetjr likes this.
  20. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

the people selling the home made ones are asking XXX dollars based on what they have into it, does not mean they are selling it for that much. i would believe most of them go unsold

jetjr and HDRock like this.