Never done it before but they were gobbling like crazy last weekend. Can you call them in like spring or just have to be in the right place at the right time?
I've never hunted them but a buddy of mine said that he usually goes for head shots because the shot just won't penetrate the plumage. Is this true?
I have a fall season here - only time I've actually taken one. Right place right time for me, had a tom roosting 20yds from the cedar I was sitting under when daylight broke he took ~2hrs to come down, walked 8' in front of me
keep the shot out of the breast meat mostly, and your going to kill a whole more effectively than relying on a bb to hit a vital organ
Yes you can call them in fall, but not like you do in the spring. I had 2 gobbling around me while deer hunting also. I have had the most luck in the fall by this: 1. Night before hunt, locate the flock and its roost. Go out 1hr before dark and sit. You are listening for the sounds of them flying up to roost. Note location when heard. If turkeys are comfortable in an area, they usually roost in the same trees/spots/ ridges. Wait till dark, then sneak out so they don't see or hear you. 2. Morning of hunt, get up early and walk in in the complete darkness making noise and waving lights. This will bust them off the roost before they want to get off and they scatter. 3. Sit down when you bust them off the roost. Wait for first light then a couple small yelps is all you need. This basically imitates the mother hen trying to gather her flock back up. 4. Blast 'em! In Indiana you can kill hens in the fall also. BTW, season ended Oct. 26th. IS, as far as the head shots go...shot will penetrate the feathers easily. Like said above, its more to keep the meat intact and make a clean(er) kill. The old saying is, "hit 'em high, watch 'em die. Hit 'em low, watch 'em go"