In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Not a wall hanger but it will eat good

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by lukem, Nov 16, 2014.

  1. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,294
    Likes Received:
    66,754
    Location:
    IN
    Wasn't a great shot as he was quartering hard toward me but it caught heart and lungs. Still managed to run 60 yards.

    Not a wall hanger but it will eat good. About 160.

    20141116_164142.jpg
     
    Loon, basod, $ooline and 10 others like this.
  2. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Very nice deer, I love hunting in the snow.
     
    basod, $ooline and splitoak like this.
  3. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,294
    Likes Received:
    66,754
    Location:
    IN
    Snow hunting is fun. He snuck up on me though...the woods was almost too quiet.
     
    $ooline, splitoak and swags like this.
  4. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    It's snowing here now and I plan on going out in the morning before work.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  5. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Woot! Meat is meat....bones taste like chit. I love a good shoulder shot-I actually take 'em that way on purpose. Pick the bone frags out, and smoke that front quarter whole.
    I missed the snow hunting-which I LOVE!!! I had to come back and drive the salt truck :hair:

    Do you do jerky? I usually do whole muscle jerky, but this year I want to try ground jerky since my meat slicer sucks. Looking for a good recipe if you have one.
     
  6. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    A full belly is better than any rack.:D
     
    milleo likes this.
  7. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,294
    Likes Received:
    66,754
    Location:
    IN
    I think I posted a jerky recipe on here somewhere.
     
  8. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    A place by me does honey cured dear hams. Little pricy but very good. Would like to try to do it myself. I can't tell you the last time I paid to have a deer processed. I like to know that it's all my meat.
     
    basod likes this.
  9. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
  10. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,294
    Likes Received:
    66,754
    Location:
    IN
    Butchering 2 deer tonight. Mine and my brother in law's.
     
    jetjr likes this.
  11. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Can't eat antlers .
    Nice buck !
     
    jetjr likes this.
  12. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    My favorite is pretty simple. Enough soy sauce to cover most of the meat, 3/4 bottle of liquid smoke, garlic powder and pepper. Marinate for 24 hrs.
     
  13. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,294
    Likes Received:
    66,754
    Location:
    IN
    Got two deer in the freezer in about 3 hours last night. Had tenderloins for dinner. Good stuff.

    I was expecting that front shoulder to be shredded but it didn't catch any bone. Very little wasted.
     
    $ooline, swags and jetjr like this.
  14. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    You grind you own burger ?
     
  15. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,294
    Likes Received:
    66,754
    Location:
    IN
    Yup.