Well hadn't been on CL in a while and saw a MS 362 about 40mis from here this morning(said it cut 1 limb) - stupid me had stuff to do and when I came back in it was gone listed 11/8/13 for $500 Anyways there's an 044 that is cosmetically rough but supposedly runs well for $250obo up the road. From online pics it looks older than most I've seen http://gadsden.craigslist.org/tls/4122332175.html thinking of just going with a 440 I saw on the bay built out to 660 displacement -GRUNT! GRUNT! I love the 0ld 041 but damm my hands are numb from running it for any appreciable period
That photo ain't no 044. That's probably an 038. Good saw in any version (plain, super, or magnum) but it's no 044. I've seen 54mm top-ends that will fit on an 044/440 chassis but unless that eBay dude has altered the stroke, he's got a little bit of work to do yet before he gets to 066/660 displacement.
That's why I asked about the 044 - looked off to me The one on ebay is a 460 with a big bore kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-MS460...S660-066-/291012256764?_trksid=p2047675.l4066
Waaaaaay overpriced. I built one of those, Swags saw now. It ran great, power is comparable to a stock 460. A 54mm big bore will bump the stock 77cc 460 up to nearly 82cc. Again, power output is not noticeably better/worse than stock. That saw might be worth $700 with an OEM top-end on it but not an aftermarket. No bar/chain? Knock another $80 off. That saw, power head only, is a $ 500 saw IMO. Maybe. The kit that's in that one runs about $120-$130 IIRC and a straight gassed 460 can be had for under $300.
That may be an old 048 of it isn't an 038. But as MM said, it's not an 044. There is a 660 by me for $525 right now (Mansfield CL) and he is looking for a smaller saw on trade also. So a saw and prob $300? For a 660Mag? Not bad. All those saws listed are overpriced IMHO.