In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

bit of a lean to this one

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Smokinpiney, Nov 7, 2014.

  1. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Had to take down some pines that were leaning towards the obstacle course at work. This one was the worst. Put it right where I wanted it after a brief hang up in the tree next to it.
    KIMG0328.JPG KIMG0329.JPG KIMG0330.JPG
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Firewood!
     
    Drvn4wood and Shawn Curry like this.
  3. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Good shootin'...
     
  4. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Pitch pine? Decent BTUs in those actually - close to silver maple. I'm going to try out some red pine next year; if I end up with more heat output than the poplar I've been burning in shoulder season, I may try it out as a 'main fuel', at least during the day when I'm home.
     
    Drvn4wood and Stinny like this.
  5. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Bore cut?
     
    Drvn4wood and Shawn Curry like this.
  6. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    No limbs for a long way up.
    That'll make some nice rounds & fun splitting

    Nice accurate drop !
     
    Gark, Well Seasoned and Shawn Curry like this.
  7. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Good stuff! :thumbs:
     
  8. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Best to use a bore cut with a heavy lean like that or risk a barber chair. I'd usually bore cut anything that size by default anyway.
     
    Bluelou likes this.
  9. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Nah just cut a small wedge in the front and carefully made the back cut. I knew it had a good chance of splitting and was ready for it. It was actually good for the other guy i work with to see the amount of energy in a leaner like that.

    And unfortunately everything we cut at work stays in the woods to rot :( . We used to be allowed to take the wood but another employee complained and now it all gets pushed up into the brush with the loader.

    Yea Shawn Curry it's pitch pine. Tons of that stuff around here. Once seasoned it burns like match sticks! Can't put more than a split or two in the stove at once
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I'll slightly disagree with the bore cut. I only use it as a last resort and that one doesn't look that bad to me. Now if that tree were a 36" or more diameter, that is a different story. On the smaller trees, the bore is really not needed as the saw can keep up with the cutting before any barber chair.