In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cherry Split Today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Nov 3, 2013.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I started out the day changing the oil in the splitters with this (recommended by a member,works great) http://www.liquivac.com/

    After changing the oil in both splitters, I helped out the neighbor:zip: (brought him his yearly face cord (his words) of American Hophornbeam) I then split this Cherry with some Soft Maple.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Thats a nice size pile. How was the temps and winds?
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Mid 30's for the high, not much wind. If I get 1.8 cord out of those two piles (I had a second post) I'll be happy.
     
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Ha! I figured 2 cords (your other post). Nice work man, thats a great day! We might have hit 45F today, but it was windy with gusts around 30mph. Was short sleeves while I raked, then the sweatshirt went back on. 38 here now, with wind.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It's about 26 at the moment, dropping to 16 or below tonight. The wife does a great job burning when I'm outside, she made some great chili for dinner with some homemade bread.:drool:
     
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Oh man, that sounds so good! I stayed outside ALL day, because after working during lunch, the house was a tad bit too warm.
     
  7. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Man you have been busy today! Great work!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The stacking of the cherry & sugar maple starts tomorrow.
     
  9. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Very nice pile of wood! How many splitters do you have ?
     
  10. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    And can I have one?
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Two, we bought the second one two or threes years ago, it's a used MTD 20 ton Vertical/Horizontal splitter. We bought it because the bigger one is a b ch hauling it up top, the MTD weighs less which is easier/safer going up the small trail.

    I had planned on leaving the MTD up top until we had a neighbor trespassing on our property with his yard tractor, three times. I chased him off twice, my wife caught him the third time hung up on a stump.

    When I chased him off I was coming from down by the house so he could hear me coming, it's a long run from the house up top. When my wife caught him she walked up the back hill when she heard a noise, he was hung up on a stump so she helped him off, let's just say he was embarrassed
     
    Scotty Overkill and Pallet Pete like this.
  12. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    What exactly is he doing up there?
     
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It's 26.1 out with a nice sun and no wind. I think this afternoon we're supposed to get some rain with a few flakes.

    Perfect weather for stacking, I'll run the trails a few times then help my neighbor cover his wood, what's the weather like your way.
     
  14. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Thats exactly how my buddies got stolen TW ! He chained it to a huge 3 ft round tree for a good 5 years and nobody bothered it then one day Jake came home and the tree was on the ground splitter gone. He has 65 acres in the middle of no mans land…. Now he puts the new splitter in the barn which is a pita to say the least. Sorry to hear that TW its just a shame you can't trust people anymore !
     
  15. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    53F Today and sum sun. We gonna be splitting fools today !:thumbs:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  16. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    It is 28 degrees and sunny out right now. The wind is supposed to pick up around noon. I will be headed out to the woods in just a few minutes to assess a few trees. :D

    Also got some splitting to do but i have no where to stack it or the other cord that is already split. I really need to work on a new stacking spot since I have everything full now including the new spot I made last year.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  17. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I still have the pictures of the his tire tracks which went by our posted sign. Just like other places, some people think that if you own a some land (woodlot) they should be able to hunt or use it, they don't even ask your permission, I guess it comes with owning land so you do your best to keep the peace.

    Time to go stacking or run the trails.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Pallet Pete like this.
  18. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Or even just a 1/4 acre spot in town,some people think your hard-earned wood over the fence is theirs also :mad: Well I took care of that problem quick enough.:cool: The GF was hysterical,literally begging me not to call the cops,while her lowlife deadbeat BF denied the whole thing right when the cops were there - even as you could see it still smoldering in their firepit.....:rofl: :lol:
     
  19. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I have chased them off with a shotgun, bat and machete ! You don't screw with a pizzed of skinny guy I like my heat... I mean seriously I'm skinny. :rofl: :lol:

    Funny thing is everybody in town knows not to screw with my wood piles now so they come right to the front door and ask politely if they can have some. We always say why sure thanks for asking and all are happy. :drunk:
     
  20. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA

    Early that Sat morning in August I noticed a gaping hole (2 wheelbarrow loads easily) in the one stack,smelled something burning -looked over the fence & there it was... I jumped over 2 fences,run up their concrete steps & damm near ripped that aluminum screen door off the hinges while pounding on the door. Found out later that others heard me screaming 2 blocks away :rofl: :lol: "Get out here you effing thief or I'll drag your azz out through a window!!"