In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Opinions on stove room ceiling material

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by papadave, Nov 5, 2014.

  1. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    As the title says, I'm looking for opinions......I think I'm in the right place for that.:D
    I was originally going to do drywall for the ceiling, but it would be so much easier for me (albeit more expensive) to do end matched T&G cedar or pine.
    It's only about 150 sq. ft., but I really don't want to try holding up 10' drywall panels (getting a lift in there would be more fun that I want to have), so I like the idea and look of the wood.
    Ok, now it's your chance to say yay or nay.
    :thumbs:
     
    Chvymn99 and wildwest like this.
  2. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,679
    Likes Received:
    144,773
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Our tape and mudding never looked right.
     
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
  4. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    I love the look of wood too. I went with T&G pine .
    I've had the wood stove in the Man Cave ,before I finished it and I noticed that the area above the stove was stained and discolored from the smoke from opening the door with out opening the dampers 1st :( so I put a small piece of drywall directly above the stove and trimmed it out.

    Pics

    IMG_2098.jpg IMG_2096.jpg IMG_2097.jpg
     
    milleo, fishingpol, papadave and 3 others like this.
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I'd always go with wood if I could just cuz it seems to go with the whole firewood thing... :yes: ... and, if it's easier, that's gotta be gooder. will711 your ceiling looks great!
     
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    eatonpcat and will711 like this.
  6. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I've used the t&g stuff a few times. I really like using the end matched stuff. I could also use 10' pieces and cut to fit w/o the end matched.
    Will, I've thought of doing the small drywall piece right around the pipe.....maybe a couple sq. ft. or so.
    Got a quote from a somewhat local Amish guy for unfinished for a little over $200. I think I'll ask about the pre-finished too and compare. That way I can just let it acclimate, then nail it up. Gooder.
     
    will711 and Stinny like this.
  7. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I'm in construction and could go either way, drywall or a wood ceiling.
    I would probably get an idea of what the rest of that rooms features were
    to really narrow any one consideration.
    Since the woodstove may be considered as a focal point in that room
    you may want to go wood to accent the stove.
     
    will711 likes this.
  8. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Box beams made of wood, with drywall between them.

    Like this:

    [​IMG]

    It does not have to be so dramatic. I have similar beams made of Southern Yellow Pine in my living room. You could even put T & G between the beams.
     
    papadave and My IS heats my home like this.
  9. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Oh and this.

    :popcorn:
     
    papadave and My IS heats my home like this.
  10. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Thanks MISHMH.
    I plan to use drywall on the walls.
    The room had t&g pine on the walls......I think it's called carsiding. I liked it, but not a ton.
     
  11. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Thanks for that Jon, but I'm going for the simple button.
    I can get the EMT&G up in less than a day in a room this small.
    I think I'll call this guy again tomorrow. He can have it ready in a days notice (maybe 2 for prefinished).
    MISHMH (or anyone else in the know), I've got my faced insulation up......should I do anything else before nailing this up?
     
  12. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    I'm not an expert , but I don't think you need to do anything :)
     
    My IS heats my home and papadave like this.
  13. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    So, I called the guy Thurs. afternoon and left a message.
    He called me back this morning at 7 a.m., which I should have guessed he'd do.
    Anyway, he's got a couple orders to fill before mine, but can have it ready by the middle of next week.
    I ordered the finished pine.
    :popcorn:
     
    Stinny likes this.
  14. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    papadave... You nailing or air stapling this up? Gonna be perty for sure. Got me thinkin' about my mancave area around my stove in the basement. S'all I'll prolly do tho for now... thinkin'... wouldn't want to blow a blood vessel er nuthin... :whistle:
     
    papadave likes this.
  15. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Nail gun into the tongue. Face nailing the first and last row, then some kind of trim.
    I've used 18g nails, but I may buy myself a 15g nailer for this.:thumbs:
     
    Stinny likes this.
  16. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Gooder idea.
     
  17. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Managed to get the wood on the 14th, and my daughter helped unload it. She went home on Saturday, so I got a start on the ceiling that afternoon.
    Got all but a few pieces done this past week, and didn't need to pull the stove pipe. I've only been able to work on it a couple hours at a time (or less), so it's been kinda slow.
    I'll take pics in a bit and put 'em up of what's done, but then I have to make a run to SIL's to help a little over there. I may get some more done when I get home, but wife and I have some errands to run too.
    As usual, life gets in the way of my projects, but I'm getting this ceiling done this week if it kills me.
    I took a look at the 15 gauge nailers too. Those things are MUCH bigger than the 18 I have, so just got another box of a gazillion or so 18 gauge nails. That oughta' do it.
     
  18. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Here's a quick pic of part of the ceiling.....remember, it's only 150 sq. ft., so hard to get a full scale pic.
    IMG_20141125_094519_517.jpg
    This piece was interesting.....has an orange streak in it. I went ahead and put it up to give the ceiling a little more character.
    IMG_20141125_094532_787.jpg
     
  19. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I like that a lot papadave. You're gonna move in next to the stove aren't ya... ;)
    Did you n' your daughter enjoy the time together? I forgot how long she had for the stay.
     
  20. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    She was only here overnight, but it was nice having someone here after mom died.
    I am thinking of moving the desk in there......:thumbs:
    My wife now seems to remember a conversation about putting beadboard on the walls. I claim the 1/5th or CRS.
     
    wildwest and Stinny like this.