Nice! We've got a nesting pair in the woods out back. This past spring the wife and I were fishing and saw the male grab a pickerel right outta the water
Very neat! I have seen a couple up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan near our hunting cabin. I have also seen them around my house near Ann Arbor, MI
We have them up here on the Ottawa River. Really great birds. We follow the nesting pair @ Berry College in Georgia each year. The college has set up 24/7 cams in the nest 115' up a pine tree on campus. Had over 4 million viewers this past nesting season. The pair is currently getting the nest ready for the next brood come December. You can google berry college eagle cam and u stream @ any time.
Funny thing. Just today some guys at work were placing bets on how many american bald eagles there were in the world. Idk how this got started but yeah my guess of 3500 was way off. So some trivia for yah: there are about 70,000 now up from 500 nesting pairs a few decades ago. And more than half reside in alaska.
There are quite a few around if you look in the right places. I've seen them riding the up drafts along the Palisades above the Hudson River, just a few miles north of NYC.
Your Ma is lucky, Coal. There are some near me. They nest along the lakes and rivers. Beautiful and big. I've read they are becoming established in NE Ohio as well.
For sure many are seeing them in places where they haven't been for a long time. They are an amazing bird and if you are ever close to one when he takes off in flight, it is awesome!
And many times we've seen them only with binocular. Not because they were so far way in trees or something but flying super high.
No bald eagles around here that I've seen. But I had an owl in woodline this evening - he and Billy Bob conversed for about 5mins until the owl figured mimicking his barking wasn't finding him a mate