Went to Lake Chinnabee up the mountain yesterday. There's a 2 mile hiking loop, brought my pole along and caught a few bass and brim, nothing of size. Some trees staring to change, the poison ivy was changing everywhere. Found this nut laying in the trail under a red oak that was raining huge acorns - I said no way, where is the chestnut? Looked up and saw a Chestnut oak, then remembered about some shrub type things at my house having big pods with these nuts inside. Can't remember the species The dam - built in the 1930's during the great recession
About 10' from where I was standing on the dam I caught a glimpse of formerly large wasp nest Did a bit of fishing below the dam - and it was awesome, 12-15casts and 10 fish, mostly small largemouth FHC related - all hickory in this pic This picture doesn't do justice to the size of this Poplar easily 40"DBH - massive
It was once I left the parking area - I've never been there on a weekend, it was packed with screaming kids. Once I got on the trail things got peaceful
They cut those trees for safety on the trail, there was a big washout starting ~200' up the ridge behind the picture. Too far to drag to the truck 5-6 more hickories laid over above the trail as well
Funny thing is the parking/picnic area is the is the head of another trail "The Silent Trail" - it was built by a deaf boy scout troop. It parallels the main feeder Cheaha Creek, and leads up to Devils Den a huge pool with waterfall.