In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's wood selling for? Best ways to advertise?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Saw addicted farmer, Oct 8, 2026 at 7:51 PM.

  1. Saw addicted farmer

    Saw addicted farmer

    Joined:
    Tuesday
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    86
    Location:
    Illinois
    I'm 45 minutes north east of Saint Louis. I'm at 250 a cord for dry and 200 for green but no takers yet. A stand out by the road at 100/face cord row maybe? I'd really like to get some stuff moving. 20261003_151726.jpg 20261003_151713.jpg
     
  2. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,929
    Location:
    Over here
    Pricing can be quite subjective. And also people LOVE to procrastinate over firewood. Effective and cheap advertising would be to place some signs at a couple local intersections? Price it for what you feel it's worth. Your assessment should be within reason of other locals in your area. I would print a picture of that covered wood to put on the signs. There's always marketplace, BUT the most likely of people to NOT be on marketplace will be wood burning types. Craigslist is still free listing also.
     
    metalcuttr, MikeInMa, EODMSgt and 4 others like this.
  3. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,279
    Likes Received:
    54,279
    Location:
    NC
    It took me 4-5 years to reach the point where I can’t keep up. I’m in a city of 250-300k. I used CL and Nextdoor to advertise. Both provided regular customers. Dry wood will lock in regular customers. There’s plenty of split today sell tomorrow guys, but ready to burn sellers are rare. In my area anyway. This year I am not advertising and I have already sold more 1 cord loads than last year. It takes time but good product will sell itself.
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,870
    Likes Received:
    215,714
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Give customers what you advertise. If selling as "seasoned" be sure the INTERNAL moisture content is below 20%. Split a few random larger pieces and check with a moisture meter. Certain woods, mostly notably oak and hickory, take more than a year to get to that level. If selling a cord, deliver a cord.

    These are the two most common problems I've seen and heard from new customers. Ill deliver a half cord taken from a half cord sized rack and the customer is dumfounded by the volume. "the other guy was ripping me off" is usually heard.

    $250 per cord is a bargain around here in Southern New England, then again when I see low prices are they delivering the right amount.

    Take time to establish a regular customer base and treat them well, until then a lower price helps.

    I don't advertise to sell volume wood unless its near the end of the season and I have extra. With more established customers its a constant battle to scrounge mor inventory.
     
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,870
    Likes Received:
    215,714
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Saw addicted farmer...this.
     
  6. Saw addicted farmer

    Saw addicted farmer

    Joined:
    Tuesday
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    86
    Location:
    Illinois
    Yeah this stuff is 3 years dry and we burned a little bit last year. I just have legitimately no interest.
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,870
    Likes Received:
    215,714
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Jim I'm wondering what our Nashville friend would say here?
     
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,870
    Likes Received:
    215,714
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Great selling point. Few, if any, wood sellers can say this. Should be an easy sell with that in your listing.
     
    metalcuttr, T.Jeff Veal, Chud and 2 others like this.
  9. Wolley

    Wolley

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2021
    Messages:
    171
    Likes Received:
    831
    Location:
    Maine
    People don't want ambiguous amounts out of piles or truck loads in a truck that could be any size. I sell 1/3 cord stacks when I get extra that people can drive up to. Almost nobody has a truck that can take more easily. List the exact size of the stack and the species of wood and when it was cut and split.
     
  10. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,839
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Good points.
     
  11. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,839
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    You know what he would say....:hair::doh::headbang:...we ain't :fart::fart:...

    But on another note, find the better sections of St Louis, a lot of folks like having a firepit or outdoor fireplace. As stated, deliver an honest amount of good wood.
     
  12. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,266
    Likes Received:
    30,804
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    A guy I know who I’d always figured was born with a silver spoon up his ash, turns out he was in fact a self made man and quite wealthy.
    At a meeting at his home once he made the comment, and I quote him because it has always stuck with me!
    “Make a quality product, sell it as cheap as you possibly can, and stand behind it!” That philosophy has obviously worked well for him.

    customer service is huge I believe. Provide a quality product, honest, if not generous quantity and do what you say you will WHEN you say you will. (Delivery wise if you go that route)
    Over time you will have a solid customer base.

    selling firewood is NOT a get rich quick proposition! Unless you’re selling in the Nashville market area :whistle:
     
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,870
    Likes Received:
    215,714
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Well put. :yes:

    If delivering wood remember one is selling service as well as product.
     
  14. theburtman

    theburtman

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2019
    Messages:
    4,159
    Likes Received:
    31,894
    Location:
    Vermont
    Customer Service is so bad everywhere today in every business that if you excel at it people will definitely notice.