In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bar Oil Hoarding Thread

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by T.Jeff Veal, May 8, 2024.

  1. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,874
    Likes Received:
    121,604
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,869
    Likes Received:
    114,959
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    They don't/won't. I have about 4 gallons and don't go through it enough to buy more. I can try the order then pickup locally opportunity, when the time comes.
     
  3. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,369
    Likes Received:
    31,802
    Location:
    Over here
    Hmmm. Even at my cost it's still a little spendy. Maybe the boss will split a case with me so I can do a thoroughly unscientific trial/review?

    [​IMG]
     
  4. ole

    ole

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2015
    Messages:
    2,167
    Likes Received:
    18,570
    Location:
    Rock County Wisconsin
    Anyone heard of Essence Bar Oil? I ordered some parts for my Husky at a small town Husky dealer. I picked them up today and he sold me a gal of Essence for $10. “best bar oil on the market and made in Wisconsin”.

    It’s pretty thin but it seemed tacky. I will try it tomorrow.
     
  5. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,369
    Likes Received:
    31,802
    Location:
    Over here
    Local Made is never a bad thing.
     
  6. wiguy

    wiguy

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2025
    Messages:
    152
    Likes Received:
    939
    Location:
    Wisconsin
  7. Duane(Pa)

    Duane(Pa)

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2015
    Messages:
    439
    Likes Received:
    3,082
    Location:
    Centre Co.
    Observation about the TSC CountyLine oil I have been using. It's not very stringy. Not sure it matters much, but at some level that's kinda the only difference between B&C and plain old motor earl.
     
  8. wiguy

    wiguy

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2025
    Messages:
    152
    Likes Received:
    939
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    In the old days one often put used motor oil in the oiler, for better or worse. With that in mind I’m ok trying some of the cheaper bar oils.

    At times I’ll do an oil change on something that has time but few hours on the oil, it comes out fairly clean. When this is the case, I’ll often mix some of this relatively clean used oil into some bar oil jug. It often ends up more a ‘winter mix’ with the thinner oil mixed in. I have a jug or 2 labeled ‘winter’, so a tad thinner than traditional bar oil.
     
  9. isaaccarlson

    isaaccarlson

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    1,864
    Likes Received:
    11,199
    Location:
    Colfax, WI
    I want the stringy stuff. I have seen “the mist” in videos and it’s barely there with the super string oil.
     
  10. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,584
    Likes Received:
    189,525
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    We carried 4 jugs of oil to Adam's GTG as door prizes, then we stopped in the Family Farm and Home store next to the Best Western Hotel where we stayed in Wayland...
    They had oil on sale for 5.69 or .89 a gallon.
    So we restocked with 6 jugs and got a jug of Cam2 at the GTG...:dex::dex: 20260429_094727.jpg
     
  11. RichE23ACR

    RichE23ACR

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2023
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    1,354
    Location:
    Hunterdon, NJ
    I was in the local autp3o part store this morning trying to get a replacement wheel bearing grease seal for my Split-Fire 3265. While they were looking up the part #, I wandered around the store. It cost me $75, I kept seeing things we needed. This included a gallon of auto part store bar oil for $12.99. It wasn't cheap but typical for this area. It's a family owned business that provides cheerful, good service. $4 more than TSC & worth it to avoid the pain of their bad service and waiting on one cashier who is more interested in their cellphone
     
  12. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,644
    Likes Received:
    33,372
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    It could just be me but I find inconsistencies in the tackiness of different batches of the same brand. Doesn't even matter the brand. I don't think they give a chit.
     
  13. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,369
    Likes Received:
    31,802
    Location:
    Over here
    Signature Series?! :rofl: :lol:

    upload_2026-10-6_10-29-31.png
     
  14. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,369
    Likes Received:
    31,802
    Location:
    Over here
    I'm noticing that some of the cheaper bottles make more a mess of my saws. Just finished off some Gard labelled stuff. Probably will avoid in future if practical.
     
    MikeInMa, buZZsaw BRAD, Chud and 4 others like this.
  15. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,584
    Likes Received:
    189,525
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
  16. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,271
    Likes Received:
    54,190
    Location:
    NC
    I have found that the amateur and semi pro grade works just as well.
     
    RCBS, JimBear, eatonpcat and 5 others like this.
  17. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,170
    Likes Received:
    163,626
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Wonder if that's why Nashville could charge so much for his wood...its signature series! Why didn't I think of that!? :rofl: :lol:
     
    RCBS, JimBear, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  18. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,825
    Likes Received:
    215,460
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    S'pose you could autograph your splits??? :whistle:

    T.Jeff Veal's signature series firewood!!!:makeitrain":doh:
     
    RCBS, eatonpcat, morningwood and 3 others like this.
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,825
    Likes Received:
    215,460
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Forgot about this thread. I've checked TSC the last few times I've bought bird feed. Low to no supply of their brand.

    My current supply is 6-7 gallons.
     
  20. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,644
    Likes Received:
    33,372
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Nothing will ever beat used drain oil with a little roofing adhesive as a tackifier.