In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fall Time Hoarding

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Sep 23, 2026.

  1. Heptameron

    Heptameron

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2026
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    394
    Location:
    Spain
    I got a small ad hoc hoarding done today. Some people chucked in the garbage three oak roots. I promised myself that I'd just let them be (not only because wood should not be disposed in the garbage dumpster but also because I promised myself that I'd leave roots alone on acount of the effort to get them to a size that'd fit my fireplace)... so on the negative side I suck at keeping promises to myself BUT on the plus side I've got a wheelbarrow full of dry ready to burn oak and saved it from going to waste.
    THE ROOTS BEFORE I CUT THEM
    WhatsApp Image 2026-09-29 at 16.41.37.jpeg

    AFTER CUTTING IT INTO SMALLER PIECES

    WhatsApp Image 2026-09-29 at 16.41.37 (1).jpeg
     
    JDU, Chud, Eric Wanderweg and 10 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,810
    Likes Received:
    215,358
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Split the quarter cord I left on the truck today. After three days of getting rained on they were extra heavy. Most of the cottonwood will go towards bundle inventory. Some of the Norway maple was added to a stack of sugar maple, some for bundle inventory. The rest of that load will get split this week.

    Delivered a half cord to my sole original customer of 20ish years. Started filling that empty rack with elm. MOTS and TOH will be added this week.
     
    WinonaRail, Heptameron, Chud and 7 others like this.
  3. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,575
    Likes Received:
    189,433
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    That's the way to keep getting after it, my friend
     
    Heptameron, Chud, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,810
    Likes Received:
    215,358
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Split the other quarter cord from last Fridays cut. Most went for bundle wood. Some of the Norway added to an existing stack of maple (sugar and Norway). Topped off the elm stack with TOH. 50/50 mix. Somebody will get an interesting half cord next year. CW seconds went to tempoaray stack of pit wood. (something new I'll inventory). Only wood left to move is the bundle wood plus a face cord of nuggets to next door. Need ground to dry out more. Off the the next score today.
     
  5. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,361
    Likes Received:
    31,735
    Location:
    Over here
    Don't take offense...I'd be offended to pay money for Ailanthus splits. :rofl: :lol:
     
  6. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,181
    Likes Received:
    166,509
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    I wear chaps over shorts in warm temperatures.
     
  7. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,181
    Likes Received:
    166,509
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    What's MOTS again buZZsaw BRAD ? " Mostly other tree sh!t"? Lol. TOH, tree of heaven, but MOTS has me right now.
     
    RCBS, eatonpcat, JDU and 5 others like this.
  8. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,659
    Likes Received:
    39,131
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    Horkn I believe it is "more of the same"
     
    eatonpcat, Horkn, T.Jeff Veal and 3 others like this.
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,810
    Likes Received:
    215,358
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    :rofl: :lol:
    More
    Of
    The
    Same, but I like yours better. Beware as ill be using it in your form from now on. If somebody asks ill refer them to you! :handshake:

    A memory from high school where the math teacher wrote that on the black board and nobody knew what he meant. IIRC it was Mr. Thomas.
     
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2026 at 7:54 PM
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,810
    Likes Received:
    215,358
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    None taken at all and if it was up to me I wouldnt touch the stuff, BUT beggars cant be choosy. Stinks and comes with those dang lantern flies. If its easy to get ill take some. The score from August was park in the yard cut and load. Homeowner cut it down. He has 4-5 more trees that I'll fell and take that are primo firewood including a dead sugar maple that helps my current dry inventory.

    Heck I sold a new customer a half cord of cottonwood recently for his fire pit and his GF was ecstatic because it actually burned! Not that I want a boatload of the stuff, but if I can sell it I'll take it.
     
    WinonaRail, RCBS, eatonpcat and 6 others like this.
  11. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,181
    Likes Received:
    166,509
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin

    Lol. I'm Tom.
     
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,810
    Likes Received:
    215,358
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Loaded, moved and stacked the pile of bundle splits next door and stacked. The middle bay about half full now. Another two cords and it'll be filled.

    Back to the yard and loaded a half cord for delivery tomorrow. Plenty of "floor space" now for fresh inventory. I have a couple cuts to work along with a couple other deliveries plus a larger bundle order this week nnnnnn
     
    WinonaRail, RCBS, eatonpcat and 6 others like this.
  13. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,270
    Likes Received:
    54,180
    Location:
    NC
    The Sycamore appears to be splitting itself
    IMG_6009.jpeg
     
    WinonaRail, RCBS, eatonpcat and 7 others like this.
  14. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,575
    Likes Received:
    189,433
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    That's good. Buck it and let it crack.
     
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,810
    Likes Received:
    215,358
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    It has a high water content when cut green. Common along waterways. There's a few growing along the river here. Dunno how fast it dries once split.
     
  16. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,270
    Likes Received:
    54,180
    Location:
    NC
    I’ll split a few test rounds next weekend. This was a yard tree and the trunk is probably 24-26” It looks like the kind of wood that would dry faster.
     
  17. Hoosier_Sam

    Hoosier_Sam

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2026
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Noblesville Indiana
    Hey guys, new here. Finally able to post/comment. Got a good combination of maple, hackberry, and some real knarly cherry that's been sitting most of the summer in logs. Finally cool enough I actually feel like messing with it after work
     
  18. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,659
    Likes Received:
    39,131
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    Welcome Hoosier_Sam Glad to have you here. We love pics of all your equipment and wood and.......:handshake:
     
    theburtman, Chud, T.Jeff Veal and 3 others like this.
  19. Hoosier_Sam

    Hoosier_Sam

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2026
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Noblesville Indiana
    Yeah it wouldn't let me post pictures for some reason. Too high quality or something. Funny coming from a straight talk Motorola lol
     
    jo191145, theburtman, Chud and 3 others like this.
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,810
    Likes Received:
    215,358
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Welcome Sam! :handshake: Great to have you.

    Post some pics if you're able. We love pics
     
    Chud, T.Jeff Veal and MikeInMa like this.