In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Technology

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RCBS, Sep 29, 2026 at 2:34 PM.

  1. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,799
    Likes Received:
    215,275
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Yup ain't that the truth. They cant put it down for seconds without having DT's. :picard:

    Ive seen it in all jobs. Cop supposed to be directing traffic, but face buried in phone. I honk my horn, he looks up, waves me on with an annoyed look on his face. I've had state cops pass me on the highway (going well over the speed limit) while looking at their phone. :mad: Remember back when cell phones first became the norm and they had signs in public buildings, waiting rooms etc to turn cell phones off. Doesn't fly today.

    Jim, the next time the wood chipper is running, grab one of their phones and toss it in there! :eek:

    I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!!! :D
     
  2. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,850
    Likes Received:
    16,791
    Location:
    Michigan
    100%. Can't even feel the buttons so you have to look away from the road to see what you're controlling. Another do as I say. Obviously auto maker lobbyist are deep in the pockets of American government.
     
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,799
    Likes Received:
    215,275
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    :rofl: :lol: Ive said the same thing. :salute:
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,799
    Likes Received:
    215,275
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Been my only for 7-8 years now. First one lasted nearly six years til I broke it. Upgrade cost me $20. Makes phone calls and sends texts which is all I want it to do. Although tapping the "7" button four times to get the "S" is annoying as I'm one of those old people texters who spells out every word! :emb: Some of the other basic features come in handy too.

    I paid for her last phone upgrade (replacement) which cost a pretty penny and Im doubtful I'll get her another.

    If someone gave me a state of the art smart phone with free liftime usage I wouldn't take it. Bad enough I'm addicted to firewood!
     
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2026 at 9:54 AM
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,799
    Likes Received:
    215,275
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    My truck is a stripped down former fleet vehicle with hand crank windows. As beat up as it is, I love it.

    We bought a used 2011 Nissan Murano ten years ago. All the bells and whistles. Once, while driving alone I accidently hit the voice activation button on the steering wheel. A female voice asks where id like to go. Scared the chit out of me! LOL!!! Now I'll hit the button and give it "R" rated commands. :rofl: :lol: Ill do the same with the TV clicker...yes I still call it the clicker.
     
  6. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,647
    Location:
    Over here
    I'm not a hater of modern phones entirely. I'm a hater of how they are exploited. Honestly I'm starting to feel like Prey when I interact with all this junk. I do enjoy practical aspects of technology. Once the practical was achieved, the exploitation began.
     
  7. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,297
    Likes Received:
    58,642
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    You guys preach... All I know is that sitting at the many GTG's that I have attended, saws off and a lot of phones come out!! And stay off my grass!!
     
  8. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,553
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Trying to post pics to FHC of course!
     
  9. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,850
    Likes Received:
    16,791
    Location:
    Michigan
    I'd think, with all this technology, they'd be able to make the "tear here to open" line actually open the package I'm trying to get into. :headbang:
     
  10. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,553
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I'd think they'd be able to make a "tear here to open" line that actually works!
    Some packages have the mark, and you can get into them almost ANYWHERE else easier! :hair:
     
  11. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,553
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Oh, and the one that really pee's me off is when the package has a ziploc, but it will still not open once the top is ripped off, then one side of the ziploc rips free of the package, rather than zipping open as designed! :hair::hair:
     
  12. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,850
    Likes Received:
    16,791
    Location:
    Michigan
    For real!!!! That'll get me all kinds of fired up. :mad:
     
  13. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,647
    Location:
    Over here
    Sometimes in a communal area I will just people watch and see who notices me watching. (not many)
     
  14. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,160
    Likes Received:
    163,553
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    You'd have fun people watching at walt 's GTG here in a couple weeks :) you coming? A guaranteed good time, unless you don't like plenty of BS'n, a few hijinks, eating premium BBQ(!) or if you dislike running saws and making a mountain of firewood! ;)
    Central Ohio Charity Wood Cuttin GTG
     
  15. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,647
    Location:
    Over here
    I'll be watching the thread for pics!
     
  16. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,297
    Likes Received:
    58,642
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    On your phone?? Lol
     
  17. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,864
    Likes Received:
    121,500
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
  18. FortySix&Two

    FortySix&Two

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2026
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Charlton, NY
    Thankfully I don't step foot in Walmart and no Krogers in my neck of the woods!
     
  19. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,647
    Location:
    Over here
    This is happening in the supply chain also. Used to get price files from vendors and manufacturers, now they are moving to self service online, with a login. Not seen it mentioned yet out & about but noticed myself and understand implications. Typically there would be three levels of Cost, depending upon individual order sizes or yearly spend. You knew where to set your pricing because you knew what your competitors were paying. Now we're probably all going to be on a case by case basis, with manufacturers deciding who gets to make how much profit. The number crunching is getting out of hand...'the devil (really is) in the details'.
     
  20. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,345
    Likes Received:
    31,647
    Location:
    Over here
    I'm in month 8 of a self imposed ban from Uncle Wally's. They wouldn't honor a coupon I had. I can't afford to shop at Kroger and besides, they make a lot of money selling their customer's info.