In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

That won’t buff out

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Sep 26, 2026.

  1. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,747
    Likes Received:
    62,034
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    $3600, it could be worse.

    Hope that doesn't dip into your vacation $$.

    Looks like you need a bigger stack next year.
    :saw::axe:
    :stack::stack::stack::stack::stack::stack::stacker:
     
  2. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,266
    Likes Received:
    30,802
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    Rusty chassis is the reason I upgraded from my white Ford ( you’ve all seen pictures of it). The spring shackles/ hangers are what had me worried.
    But $3600 to repair something that rusty don’t sound like the best solution to me. I gave $2242.70 for its replacement plus $850 to have it shipped from Spencer Iowa
     
  3. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,101
    Likes Received:
    43,039
    Location:
    NJ
    I don’t know when you bought last but there are very few options under $10k and who knows what other problems I would be inheriting with a “new” used vehicle.
     
  4. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,093
    Likes Received:
    29,431
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    Can I ask what the repair entails? Problem with rust, as you know, it gets everywhere and little to no way to stop it. Would hate to see you put good money after bad. I kind of got lucky and got a southern truck and had it undercoated as soon as I got it. Granted well over 10k but hope it's the last truck I ever buy.
     
  5. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,266
    Likes Received:
    30,802
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
  6. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,928
    Location:
    Over here
    This is the part that scares me about the dump trucks that fit into my budget. I'm looking for 4x4, so most all of them have done 'snow duty' and are less than optimal underneath.
     
    tamarack, Screwloose, Horkn and 11 others like this.
  7. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,101
    Likes Received:
    43,039
    Location:
    NJ
    Welding a sister plate on it once he got it back in line. I don't know this guy personally but my normal every day welder highly recommended him. Only reason my normal welder didn't want to take it on was lacking equipment to hoist up the bed. Living in the northeast, this is just part of owning older equipment.
     
  8. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,101
    Likes Received:
    43,039
    Location:
    NJ
    This is a 2wd 12' stakebody so I don't think it has any snow removal in its past.
     
  9. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,101
    Likes Received:
    43,039
    Location:
    NJ
    Ad states truck has rust in all caps. How bad is it? How much will I have to replace and how soon? Also, I didn't mention this before but my truck is a 12' stakebody capable of holding 2 cords so I would be looking for an equal replacement. I have looked quite a bit and there just aren't options that even seem worth looking at in person.
     
  10. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,186
    Likes Received:
    163,784
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    At least the chassis frame should be a lil easier to weld up/reinforce than a F350 pickup frame.
    If they do a good job, it'll be stronger than original.
    My nephew works a heavy truck repair shop and he says they do work like that on heavy trucks pretty often
     
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2026
  11. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,279
    Likes Received:
    54,270
    Location:
    NC
    When I was looking it was difficult to find a used truck that checked all my boxes. I would have had to get new or everything’s rust. Ideally I would have gotten a 10-12’ bed , but that meant a payment more than my mortgage, or no rockers, see through floorboards and orange frame.
     
  12. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,770
    Likes Received:
    224,827
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  13. Wouldsplitter

    Wouldsplitter

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2020
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    2,875
    Location:
    Illinois
    He's selling firewood soooo...

    It's more like Washington's rolling in. :wacky:

    JK. :handshake:
     
    Screwloose, Horkn, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  14. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,307
    Likes Received:
    58,733
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Apparently, you have never been to Nashville!!
     
    Screwloose, Horkn, Chaz and 12 others like this.
  15. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,279
    Likes Received:
    54,270
    Location:
    NC
    Dang right! Six figures or you’re wasting your time.
     
    Screwloose, Horkn, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  16. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,749
    Likes Received:
    20,843
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    Shop ?? that needs to go to the scrap yard.....................
     
    Screwloose, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 4 others like this.
  17. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,294
    Likes Received:
    66,758
    Location:
    IN
    Doesn't look good. As rusty as that looks I'd be afraid it will just find the next weakest point and break there again. How many times are you going to throw $3600 at it?
     
    Screwloose, Horkn, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  18. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,679
    Likes Received:
    130,984
    Location:
    Vermont
    My answer would be once then a new frame is about 5,ooo plus labor to put it in…
    Regardless 85% of farm vehicles (no inspection registration within 50 miles farm) look similar on larger property called a yard truck, not road worthy but useful in hauling wood, plowing and such on 50+ acre property

    how country kids learn how to drive
     
  19. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,294
    Likes Received:
    66,758
    Location:
    IN
    Oh, I know. We had plenty of farm trucks that weren't registered and I was behind the wheel at 11 or 12. But, this isn't one of those....yet. Sounds like he's in it for commercial use.
     
  20. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    17,420
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    Worse case scenario, you get it through this winter with the repair and then make a decision what to do then. Hope the repair holds up for you in the mean time. Nice to have someone reputable doing the work for you. I can’t blame you for wanting to invest in what you have. You know everything about that truck, and a newer one could come with unknowns. Impressive you can get 2 cords on it! Mine hauls one cord at a time, and that feels like a lot! Good luck to you!
     
    Screwloose, Horkn, Chaz and 9 others like this.