In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Serindipitous small score

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by metalcuttr, Sep 28, 2026.

  1. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,806
    Likes Received:
    27,892
    Location:
    western WA
    Was out riding "Red Rover", my little 125 Honda trail bike, on Sunday and went past a yard covered with chips from a tree service. There were 6 very large rounds of Doug Fir stood up in the yard and several 10ish foot long logs as well. I stopped, thinking that they had had a tree removed, and asked about the rounds. Seems they had called for a chip drop from a gyppo tree service to cover their front yard. The service came when they were not there with a dump truck from their yard. The rounds and logs were included with the chips and the outfit would not take them back. I would have made an issue if treated like that but they did not. Instead the home owners stood the rounds on end in a circle and chipped around them for the kids to play on. The Lady said they wished them gone so I went today and picked up 4 of the rounds (they decided to keep two) and the misc logs. They had been stood up for 2 months and I had to use the crane to topple them they were so heavy. Would you believe they were all exactly 32" long? I danced a jig! I cut each round into two 16" rounds and loaded them with the crane. Not a huge score but a solid trailer load! Just have to keep your eyes open and ask. kidsrounds1.jpg kidsrounds2.jpg kidsrounds3.jpg
     
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2026
    Woodwidow, Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and 22 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,872
    Likes Received:
    215,740
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Like this? :dancer: :D I probably would've done the same with 32" at that size. Irks me when I have to end up with a shorty on huge rounds.

    The wood Gods were on you side for sure!
     
    Chaz, T.Jeff Veal, wildwest and 10 others like this.
  3. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,929
    Location:
    Over here
    Sheisty tree service.
     
    Chaz, T.Jeff Veal, sms4life and 11 others like this.
  4. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,890
    Likes Received:
    121,738
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
  5. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,681
    Likes Received:
    131,001
    Location:
    Vermont
    Thanks for helping them out metalcuttr :yes:
    Happy homeowner wanted some wood chips for kids to play on with.. homeowner generally can’t deal with big rounds
     
    Chaz, T.Jeff Veal, wildwest and 8 others like this.
  6. Heptameron

    Heptameron

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2026
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    396
    Location:
    Spain
    I need to revisit my definition of "small" if that is what that is considered in these parts of internet :rofl: :lol:
     
  7. Allman27

    Allman27

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2023
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    429
    Location:
    East Central Wisconsin
    Sweet score!
     
  8. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,806
    Likes Received:
    27,892
    Location:
    western WA
    Funny thing was the smaller 10'ish long logs were in 16" increments also!! Figure that out???
     
  9. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,843
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    May have only been a trailer load, but rounds that size will make a lot of nice splits. Well done, my friend. I know that winch came in handy on those rounds.
     
    Chud, Backwoods Savage, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    49,023
    Likes Received:
    312,512
    Location:
    Central MI
    It is difficult to imagine but it appears someone knew what he was doing.