And home from 5 days riding in The Great Northwoods. Did 580 miles on the Honda Pioneer 520. She did great with one hiccup. Our first morning out not 40 miles in I had a flat tire. Picked up a cotter key! So I had to plug two holes with a very small piece of tire rubber between. But it held air and is still holding now that I am home. What are the odds I would pick up a cotter key? the above blob is actually two plugs The culprit and my tools. I always carry an air compressor up there. I have had very good luck using walmart silly string plugs over the years. Plugged dozens of tires they just plain work.
Today was another kill weed day. I spray my lawn every September. It just seems to work better. I use Gordon’s Acreage Pro which is 3 parts 2-4-D and 1 part Banvel. I then put in some Canola Oil for a surfactant. I had to extend the boom on my sprayer so it would clear the open tailgate. That seemed easier than removing the tailgate. Got everything all cleaned up and went for a walk in my woods. Golden Oyster mushrooms everywhere. They are edible according to my Amish neighbor but I’ve never eaten any. It’s warm here today the dandelions are already wilting on my lawn. Success!
Really beautiful looking property! Question for you, how are the Grouse populations looking this year? We used to go up in the Northwoods every year for 20 years and just had such a great time with our GSP! Also met great locals and still keep in touch with many of them! We didn’t kill many Grouse but a couple every now and then to enjoy for dinner Really miss being there and miss our GSP, oh and the great little restaurants and friendly taverns for Friday Fish Fry!
We saw quite a few grouse up there on my ATV trip. It is rare to see grouse down here in Southern Wisconsin but I have seen maybe a half dozen in my woods since we bought it in 1982,,
Changed the hydro oil filter on my new to me gas engine splitter. Lost about 3/4 quart of hydro oil but it WASNT hydro oil. It was red ATF. Previous owner must have changed it out for under 32F operations. Saved me from doing it! She is good to go now. I just have to do my part and provide her with some rounds. The brother and widow (remaining co owners) who own the old junkyard near me have agreed to let me cut anything that is on the ground. “dont get hurt” This will be my last go round on this property as they have signed a contract with a realtor to appraise and sell it. They both told me separately they want $400,000 for this 40 acres. here we go I best get my arse in gear
The shed is really getting empty. Another repeat customer just left with a face of oak in his truck. He pre paid for another face next week. At that time the shed will be empty. Time to re fill!
It’s gonna look kinda barren out there. But I got a plan to fix that. I’m a little surprised nobody complained about my price increase. Not a peep. Maybe $125 a face isn’t high enough. But I don’t offer delivery.
That's a good price. We were $130 last year, delivered. Went up $10. Had one balk...That's ok, it will be there when it's cold...lol
I usually go up $5 per year on half cords. Im at the same price for stacking. I have a couple 60 something women who always complain. One is my sole original customer of 15-20 years.
Well, the shed is not empty of firewood anymore. I got after it today. Hauled 4 loads from my monster pile into the shed. And split it down to my size. I will burn this in winter 27/28. It needs time as it’s coming off the splitter between 25 -30. Mostly oak. I was going to split load #4 after supper but I found some Crown Royal instead. There’s always tomorrow.
I was going to split load #4 after supper but I found some Crown Royal instead. There’s always tomorrow
The two loads I split today were coming off the splitter 25% and under. That made me happy. I’ve not had good results putting 30% oak in the shed,,,,
Put a new Japanese bar and a new German chain on the Husky 445 and put her to work. I had 4 oaks and a hickory down across the trails in my woods. Husky ran great. I used the 192 top handle as well. I got 33 rounds out of the first oak. Up next was a shagbark that gave me 34 rounds. Then two oaks together bout a third of this will be campfire wood. The last oak was small 17 rounds. I sure like that Logrite in the woods. It saves my back.
Then I found a big oak that lost his top this summer in a storm. I dropped him right into the top laying on the ground. Had to wedge him he was leaning the wrong way but I won. I had enough pre mix so I got after it This is where I had to quit cuz I ran out of bar oil. I think I will go back to cutting Sunday. Husky still sharp only hit the ground once. It just feels right to have a chainsaw in my hands again,,
The goal today was to empty my pre mix can. I was successful. Will mix up some fresh tomorrow. I finished up the oak from the other day. Got 33 nice rounds and some limb wood. My woods is in a WIS DNR managed forest plan. So you have to do what is in your plan. My plan says destroy every black locust I can find. I dropped some small ones by my woods pile to get more sunlight in. Of course one had to land ON the woodpile. I got a couple jags out of it but the most work was tossing the limb wood off the trail. By now the Husky was empty of fuel but the 192 top handle still some left so I dropped a dead black cherry. Not the right tool for the job but it worked. The other black cherry by the stump will get dropped soon. Still had enough fuel to drop another so I sacrificed a small hickory to get the dead oak beside it safely. I’ll get back after it Monday after a dentist appointment.
Im liking that BL. How prolific is it there? Small groves and common in abandoned commercial lots here. Wouldnt mind having a score of it if the Noreaster produces some storm damage, right Eric Wanderweg?
I don’t have a lot of black locust. The NW corner of my 40 is the only spot where it is growing. I keep a close eye on them usually let them get some meat on them before I drop em.