Heading into heating season, I decided to measure and inventory just how much firewood I have. It came out to 20 cords. On average I burn 4 cords a year, so I'm ahead. Some of this has been in open sided woodsheds for 6+ years, so decided to use some of that first and not replace it, there anyway, as I want the shed for other use, like parking my "new" splitter. Picture is shed I'm tlaking about, going to burn the 1.8 cords on left hand side. It is all oak splits and oak blocks from pallet mill.
May you have a many a cold dark snowy night nestled by you warm fire So even if power get disrupted you are still cozy.
Hmmm, I would need to recount totes but guessing 25 or so over-filled with well over half hedge, red and white oak, mulberry, honey and black locust 2-3 years stacked. It would be difficult to impossible to give a cord count.
Time for the five year plan! Wonder what the MC is on that oak? Reminds me of my bundle wood shed. Three 8x10 bays that can hold four cord each.
Currently I have 7 cord split and stacked in my new woodshed. 4 cord is ready to go this winter and the 3 will be for next. I burn about 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cord per winter. I do have about 2-3 cord of rounds ready to be split and stacked. Now if it would just quit raining... I also have a dead oak which needs to be taken down and cut for the winter of '28-'29. should be about 2 cord in that tree alone. In about 1 year, I'll have my 3-year plan completed.
I split a piece on the end today. MM said 9.9% I'm anxious to see what what big pallet mill blocks are in middle of the stack. Will measure when I get there.
Got around to taking of our personal stash yesterday... Our 5x10 limb/rounds shed. Most is at least 2+ years old. These 14 drums are 4+ years old, oak and hickory chunks and odd pieces. We used about 1/2 of 2 drums last year. More drums of chunks...I think 2 are still full... 3 drums of 11-12" 2x4 pieces we use when we start a fire... Our sheds...all hickory, I'm guessing 2.5+ cords, most stacked last year, added 1.5 stacks this year, will be used later. Mixed hardwood shed...probably 1.5 cords A cord+ of mostly ash with a bit of maple. Left side is the cribbage blocks that we haven't cut yet... there's 8 drums at the end of shed with mixed hardwood, one is full of hedge... Our cherry and pecan stash. We usually take this when we go camping... All cherry Cherry left, pecan right We have about 3 totes full of kindling/splitter trash 2 metal baskets of chunks, front is hickory, back is white oak /hickory. 2 totes of 3yr old BL... This tote has a bit of American Holly, works really good to get the fire going from coals and a few cribbage blocks. Leftover tote of WO and maybe a few pieces of beech A tote of 3+ yr old ash... A tote of mixed chunks 3 MOTS...I think... 8 more totes, I think 1 is kindling, rest is chunks... 8 more drums of green chunks for later years. I think we have 6 or 7 other drums I forgot to get of... Maybe we're set for a couple years......my plan is to fill our other 2 big sheds with hickory and white oak/beech. That will be 14-15 cords between the 2. Only sell what we can put in totes.
T.Jeff...have you offered the splitter leavings to customers for kindling purposes? Seems you have a surplus and are likely making more.
We usually have our 1st frost around the end of Oct. We have some customers that don't want hickory because it throws sparks...ok, it will heat our house...lol... I guess I just want us (Miz Carol, especially) to have plenty of wood for later years. And enjoy life a bit more and not worry about selling every stick we get.
That was the idea when we built that shed, but in our area, ourselves included, use a pellet smoker. We have sold a bit for smoker wood. I enjoy a campfire with a bit of hickory or cherry in it, smells so good.
I thought the same. Last year one of my smoker customers was foaming at the mouth when he saw the bag I was using here for the fire pit/grill. Ended up buying the two full ones I had here. I started offering them to smoker customers and some have taken me up. Sold three to a customer yesterday with their half cord of pit wood. Topped one off today while splitting. Between myself and two friends I cant have enough of them. With having to euthanize our cat last year I'm missing the cardboard litter boxes I'd empty every 3-4 weeks. I have huge bags of apple and mulberry shards for sale with no takers.