In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Paul Bunyan Festival

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by StickBender, Oct 5, 2014.

  1. StickBender

    StickBender

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    639
    Location:
    Ohio
    While I was at the festival today I was hanging around the woodmizer booth. They had milled some monster slabs of poplar the day before when I was watching. Well today I went back and the main guy had piled them up and was gonna take them home. I'm in the middle of finishing my basement right now and have been looking for a bar top and these fit the bill. I ended up getting a real nice clean piece of poplar, it measure 2" thick nearly 36" wide and almost 9' long. The woodmizer guy gave me advice how to store till I was ready for it and it would allow it to dry out and not cup. He said to stand it on end against a wall so the water would drain with the grain downhill and screw 2x4 to the side I wouldn't be using across the grain every 12" or so so it wouldn't cup. Sounds right?
     
  2. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Sounds like it would work, that will look nice as a bar top!
     
  3. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,263
    Likes Received:
    60,489
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Sounds exactly right
     
  4. StickBender

    StickBender

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    639
    Location:
    Ohio
    Thanks!
     
    HDRock likes this.
  5. StickBender

    StickBender

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    639
    Location:
    Ohio
    Thanks, I'm really hoping it turns out good.