Booked another cord delivery for next weekend. No fancy ads, firewood purchases, resplitting, mega airflow stacking, pull ups, or luxury liquor drinking required.
I was 2 for 3 last weekend. One never confirmed a delivery time, but I wasn’t mad, because it’s my longest drive, so I would prefer to lose him. This weekend I have a cord delivery scheduled Sat and Sun. Both return customers. 1 cord orders are far outpacing smaller orders. I’ve only done 1 Tacoma and 2 F150. Next weekend will make 7&8 dump truck deliveries. Pfff I might be putting Nashville Michigan Radios on the Chebby.
Do you have to pull over to change the station? Got a half cord going tomorrow to a long time regular. Casual burner. One of my BL customers said I can bring the next three loads at my convenience. Need to empty a rack so maybe later this week. How is your dry inventory?
I’m worried. People are asking for me to reserve them January wood but with all the folks buying chords early I dunno if it will last. I was thinking I could cover regulars but irregulars are upsizing too.
Ive turned away a couple GOOD referrals myself. One just wanted a half cord for his fireplace. Explained to him I need the reserve for regulars should they need more. Worst case leftover dry wood goes on FBM, but I'm highly doubtful that will happen. I have a dead sugar maple (all solid meat) to take down in the next week or so and would like to split on site and deliver directly to customer. He can stack on his patio for use late season as he buys 4-6 loads and he is the one I'm worried about having enough for. I did pretty good selling green/semi seasoned to some volume burners this off season. Gonna do the same so I don't have to stack and store it. They are on board too. Just hope I can procure the inventory
That's great, Jim. It's hard to reserve, I try to get them to cover winter early. We are very low on dry inventory. I'm trying to get our personal stash built back up and just sell the overflow.
Do you guys discount for fresh (within 6 months) or upcharge for wood that’s been drying longer? I have a lot of wood that’s wet and shouldn’t be burned for a year at least. Thought of knocking $25/cord off, but if it sells regardless I’m not going to discount for being wet.
I was discounting slightly for green/semi seasoned. Saved me the trouble of handling it a few more times. Once stacked the price is the same regardless.
I used to hold wood for people but in warmer winters I was left with it. I now tell them unless they pay for it, it goes out to someone else with money.
Good way to do it. I could toss it in my trailer vs stacking it, then sell it by the trailer load once it’s full. Downside there is needing the trailer before the wood sells!
An issue I often face with my truck as its used for firewooding and my other work. Some of my volume burners have started taking green wood deliveries. Hoping I can continue this next year. Procuring wood in quantity my biggest dilemma.
Seems lately wood is plentiful here. I think if I really needed I could call around and get tree service logs pretty easy.
Get while the gettin's good. My problem is with my miniscule postage stamp processing area. Cant take deliveries of log length. I have to buck to stove length and bring it in. PITA at times. Been doing it that way for years now.
Well its getting cold. One of my volume customers texted yesterday for his first half cord. Getting delivered tomorrow. Stacked too. He'll get another 3-4 loads over the coming months as needed. Im a bit worried about having enough dry inventory for later in the season. Another regular called this morning. His first load going next week and a second half cord of red oak soon after. He's one of my two regulars that I sell oak to. He'll get another cord of the same once he burns though the first cord. I have a half cord of fire pit wood going Monday too.
I just finished filling my dump truck for the 2nd time this morning and I’m questioning my life choices