In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I seen this post on SPOTTED LANTERNFLY QUARANTINE

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Knothead, Sep 7, 2026.

  1. Knothead

    Knothead

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,130
    Likes Received:
    17,442
    Location:
    East Texas
    I saw this post on another website; I don't know if the quarantine is still in effect.

    SPOTTED LANTERNFLY QUARANTINE: Did you know that all 88 counties in Ohio are under a Spotted Lanternfly Quarantine to stop the spread of this invasive species? According the Ohio Department of Agriculture, this statewide quarantine was expanded to include all counties in February.

    Moving firewood is the #1 human cause that leads to the spread of this invasive species. With the cooler fall weather approaching, experts urge all residents of Ohio to *NOT* move firewood. Its always best to buy it where you burn it.

    The spotted lanternfly was first detected in the U.S. in Pennsylvania in 2014. It was likely brought to the U.S. by imported goods.

    upload_2026-9-7_18-28-54.jpeg
     
  2. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,775
    Likes Received:
    224,839
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Another quarantine?

    Why not? The last one worked so well...........:picard:
     
  3. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,307
    Likes Received:
    58,742
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Hahaha
     
  4. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,929
    Location:
    Over here
    I've not kept up on recent invasives. Am I understanding correctly that these things like Ailanthus trees? Or do they also eat other species?
     
  5. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,593
    Likes Received:
    68,127
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Yes, TOH is their preferred host tree (they developed a symbiotic relationship together back in China) and that's where they lay their eggs. But they will feed on plenty of our native trees/plants (grapevines and fruit trees in particular) The way we've let TOH become rampant across much of the US is going to compound the problem.
     
  6. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,593
    Likes Received:
    68,127
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I see quarantines like this and to me it's just the system's knee jerk reaction to "do something". It sounds all well and good but in practice it will only slow the spread a little. I can almost guarantee a bunch will be hitching a ride all over in the back of box trucks and all sorts of enclosed trailers, going mostly unnoticed.
     
  7. JoeyD

    JoeyD

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    251
    Likes Received:
    1,426
    Agreed
     
  8. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,775
    Likes Received:
    224,839
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.


    Yup, same thing as the EAB quarantine. I saw logging trucks driving full loads crossing not only county lines but also state lines during quarantines where you couldn't move firewood out of the county it was harvested in. :loco: :crazy:
     
  9. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,929
    Location:
    Over here
    Would my relatively low dispersion of Ailanthus be the reason I have not yet seen any of them? Do they damage the Ailanthus at all? A dream bug would be similar to the emerald borer but targeting the stink trees.
     
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2026
  10. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,238
    Likes Received:
    50,473
    Location:
    Ct
    interesting question. I looked it up. They can weaken TOH but generally speaking TOH is hardy enough to survive the onslaught. Too bad.
     
  11. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,858
    Likes Received:
    16,846
    Location:
    Michigan
    It's a situation where they keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. Typical government, business as usual. :loco: :crazy:
     
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,740
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Mebbe if we built a wall?
     
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,740
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Maybe the moths will eradicate the TOH? I wouldn't miss it!
     
  14. sms4life

    sms4life

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2023
    Messages:
    502
    Likes Received:
    4,356
    Location:
    Michigan
  15. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,281
    Likes Received:
    54,290
    Location:
    NC
    I saw a squished SLF on the floor in the Holiday Inn in Cincinatistan. The Paks own it and 4 other hotels in the area. I made it out safely and I’m back home now.
     
    Chaz, brenndatomu, JimBear and 6 others like this.
  16. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,307
    Likes Received:
    58,742
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    I luv that your hillbilly azz thinks Cincy is a big city.. Jethro!! LOL
     
    Chaz, brenndatomu, JimBear and 5 others like this.
  17. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,539
    Likes Received:
    95,662
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Apparently a live lantern fly has been spotted in Canada now. Windsor, Ontario
     
  18. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,681
    Likes Received:
    131,001
    Location:
    Vermont
    But isn’t Windor a 90 minutes druve and a bridge from Toledo Ohio?
     
  19. In the Pines

    In the Pines

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2018
    Messages:
    1,454
    Likes Received:
    8,084
    Location:
    Ohio
    I started seeing them last year hitching rides on the camper trailers. I'd reckon they get around a lot better that way than off loads of firewood.
     
  20. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,539
    Likes Received:
    95,662
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I had to google it. you are right. It isn't far from Toledo. I guess they have been finding dead ones before but this was the first live one. I am sure there are more than that out there.