In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Git'ter done down in Dixie

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by T.Jeff Veal, Dec 29, 2018.

  1. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,865
    Likes Received:
    215,692
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Although maybe not possible in your case with the volume you have, but that's one reason I'll try and get wood CSS fast in the warm weather. Seems once its under cover they don't bother it as much. Ill separate out heartwood splits on hickory and oak and stack on its own. Smoking inventory and one customer gets some oak heartwood. Hickory not a common scrounge for me. Maybe a cord of it on hand.
     
  2. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,678
    Likes Received:
    130,978
    Location:
    Vermont
  3. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,823
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    :handshake:
     
  4. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,306
    Likes Received:
    58,732
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Do you ever sleep Jeff?
     
  5. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,823
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    That's why I like night shift...:whistle::whistle:;);):zip::zip:...

    That's what I'm told anyway..
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:


    I don't sleep much when I'm on nights, maybe 4 hrs at the most at home.
    Try to o_Oo_Oo_O:coffee::coffee: the reat of the night.
     
    metalcuttr, Haftacut, EODMSgt and 7 others like this.
  6. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    17,420
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    I definitely got more done working nights, but yeah, usually at the cost of sleep!
     
  7. WinonaRail

    WinonaRail

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2020
    Messages:
    4,028
    Likes Received:
    19,905
    Location:
    Indiana, US
    Do you get much pear in your neck of the woods? I get some occasionally and split small to sell for smoking wood. I have a few customers that like it. I have to work with what I have since I don't have pecan, ya know. :rofl: :lol:
     
  8. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,823
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    There is a lot of pear around, but we don't get much of it. That was the biggest one we've ever got.
    Ya'll need to come back to GA soon and we'll load ya up with pecan.
     
  9. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,823
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Since it was very dry, we decided to plow the food plots that the hogs had rooted up...
    Thankful the tractor has cruise control and differential lock...:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:...
    CAUTION...may cause motion sickness :eek::eek:
     
    metalcuttr, Screwloose, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  10. JD Guy

    JD Guy

    Joined:
    May 11, 2022
    Messages:
    1,327
    Likes Received:
    8,212
    Location:
    Upstate SC
    What tillage implement? I used to have a 2btm turn plow years ago but sold it. Now I use a 7ft scarifier then a 20 disc harrow after prior to planting.
     
    metalcuttr, Screwloose, Chud and 5 others like this.
  11. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,823
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    6.5' Frontier disc harrow, with heavy drag behind it.
     
    metalcuttr, Screwloose, Chud and 3 others like this.
  12. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,823
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    20260327_115642.jpg
     
  13. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,823
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    We have rain forecast for this weekend, so we decided to try out the new no-till drill on a couple food plots.
    This is what we're planting, along with extra oats, wheat and 4 types of clover. 20261002_165556.jpg
    Adding the last 150# of seed for the next planting 20261002_165414.jpg
    We started with the powerline. Trial and error. Had to adjust seed rate and depth controls... 20261002_141730.jpg
    We went to the back plot where the bees are. 20261002_144855.jpg
    It planted through the weeds and grass pretty good, probably would have done great if we had had some rain... 20261002_155959.jpg
    Good setup... 20261002_160016.jpg
     
  14. JD Guy

    JD Guy

    Joined:
    May 11, 2022
    Messages:
    1,327
    Likes Received:
    8,212
    Location:
    Upstate SC
    Got ours in on Friday then a very nice rain on Saturday. Sometime everything works out just right:thumbs:
     
  15. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,823
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    That's great, we started getting rain late Sunday afternoon, good soaking in rain all night and today so far.
     
  16. JD Guy

    JD Guy

    Joined:
    May 11, 2022
    Messages:
    1,327
    Likes Received:
    8,212
    Location:
    Upstate SC
    T.Jeff Veal Well, it’s up to the weather now! Done all we could do:thumbs:
     
  17. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,770
    Likes Received:
    224,823
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    I was just thinking the same thing for here. Won't be long and it will be miserable wet and then snow.

    I used to scrounge in those conditions but no longer unless it is unavoidable.....like last year's Thanksgiving storm! Couldn't get out of the driveway.
     
  18. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,823
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    We finished the last food plot yesterday evening. Had to get more seed.
    50# of black oats, supposed to grow more forage than the Coker oats... 20261007_183628.jpg
    100# of wheat... 20261007_183717.jpg
    Got 6# of crimson clover and 4# of rapeseed for the small seed hopper... 20261007_183808.jpg 20261007_183822.jpg
    This planted about 1.25 acres...
    The additional lights we added really helps out... 20261007_193620.jpg 20261007_192534.jpg
     
  19. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,803
    Likes Received:
    27,884
    Location:
    western WA
    Sounds like a good time Jeff. Tractor, new equipment, thoughts about hunting..... All fun things!:thumbs:
     
  20. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,306
    Likes Received:
    58,732
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Those lights are nice Jeff, looks like the sun is shining!