In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

ugh.. full moon

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Beetle-Kill, Oct 6, 2014.

  1. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Elk starts Saturday and we'll have an almost full moon. I just know they'll feed all night and bed down well before first light. So I'll have to cover more ground than I wanted to. The chest cold I just developed won't make that any easier, that's for sure.
    Anyone else get foiled by a full moon?
     
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Just looked out the window, the moon looks full and very bright.
    Just keeping an eye on the two legged weirdos, nm any animals.
     
  3. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Yep the full moon will allow them to feed all night and return to bedding areas before daylight. They started feeding later and later here last week. Makes for a tough few days of huntin for sure. Hope that cold clears up for ya soon!
     
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  4. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    You've got elk in New Jersey?

    :whistle:
     
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  5. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    East parking lot of Short's Burgers,Iowa City IA (needed to get away after working 37+ days in a row) visiting nephew yesterday,some sightseeing/leaf watching in NE IA) at 7PM last night.....
     

    Attached Files:

    • 046.JPG
      046.JPG
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
      1
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  6. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Yea you should see the herd we have here! They look just like whitetails.:p
     
  7. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Those are "smelk", not to be confused with "felk", which are what I'm after.
    And the only benefit to this moon is I'll be able to get back in further without using the headlamp. There's something about heading out around 3-4 in the morning and listening to the hills. Elk talk to each other, I hear them, I sit tight in the dark until I get a feeling on direction. Then the hunt begins.
    'course this raspy cough I've got will give me away in a heartbeat, but what the heck, always nice to take the rifle for a hike.
     
    Smokinpiney and BrianK like this.