In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood fired oven apple tart

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by fishingpol, Oct 4, 2014.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Thanks to Woodwidow for putting up the apple tart recipe a few weeks ago, I saw a recipe in the local paper and made one this morning.

    Quick firing photos. Random pieces of oak, maple and locust.

    IMG_0003.JPG


    The split maple really cranks this thing up. Flame show out the door.

    IMG_0006-001.JPG

    This recipe is just a crust golden delicious apples, sugar butter and some apricot jam with water that is cooked and strained before brushing on the apples at the end of cooking.

    IMG_0013.JPG


    It is pretty basic.

    IMG_0019.JPG


    A little whipped cream on top and a cup of coffee.

    IMG_0023.JPG
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Breakfast of champions!
     
    savemoney and fishingpol like this.
  3. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,527
    Likes Received:
    95,603
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Ooooh nice! a much simpler recipe but I bet it tastes just as awesome. I will have to try the apricot jam glaze next time. Do the maple, oak and locust coals impart any flavor to the baked goods? Baking potatoes in our boiler base after the fire has gone out gives it that outdoor fire flavor.
     
  4. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    And I will make the upside down tart too.

    There is no smokey flavor at all. All the wood is burned down to small coals and ash. When I scoop the coals out, the oven has a hot, clean smell to it, if that makes any sense.
     
  5. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,527
    Likes Received:
    95,603
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Yes, it does make sense. Campinspecter and I discussed this and have come to conclusion that we are going to stick to using the boiler. I am going to try and find some combination cookware so we could cook food in layers. During the winter, we almost burn everyday so the base stays quite hot for quite awhile. Be fun to try anyway.
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    That looks delicious!
     
    WeldrDave likes this.