In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood ID

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by bigbarf48, Oct 1, 2014.

  1. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    I tried with this load before, but got no definitive answer. I got it a few months back from my tree guy.

    Smelled a little funny when cutting and splitting, like a horse pasture. It was BRIGHT reddish orange when fresh cut, and had dried to a dull mahogany color. Bark came off easy and was slimy/milky underneath. No leaves in the load

    Anyone have any ideas?

    IMG_1047.jpg IMG_1716.jpg IMG_2885.jpg IMG_8193.jpg
     
  2. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    IMG_6862.jpg

    One more pic
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    I think this is in another thread too. Red elm is my guess.
     
  4. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Hmm I don't know how this double posted, or why it just showed up. Mods can lock it down/delete if you want