In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Withdrawal symptoms...

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrianK, Oct 19, 2013.

  1. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    I decided not to burn my Woodstock Fireview this fall while waiting to receive our Beta test version of the new Woodstock Steal Hybrid. I thought it would be easier to make the change out if I didn't fire up the Fireview this fall and have to clean everything up again. Plus I'm getting in Supervent DSP double wall stove pipe for the new stove. I never liked the cheap single wall pipe I got from Lowes when I installed the Supervent chimney for the Fireview.

    Last night it got down into the 30s and we had to kick on the natural gas furnace. Ugh.

    I'm having serious withdrawal and I'm sorely tempted to light up the Fireview. No idea when the new stove will be in yet, though Woodstock said October.
     
    savemoney, milleo and Pallet Pete like this.
  2. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    Well you could ride around the neighborhood and stand down wind of a smoke dragon. That might help some.
     
    Daryl, concretegrazer, Gark and 4 others like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I'd be firing that thing up fast!
     
    papadave, BrianK and milleo like this.
  4. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Just build a keyhole firepit in the living room and open a door ! :drool:
     
    papadave and BrianK like this.
  5. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    I am sorely tempted but I haven't checked the flue since last year because I was planning on doing so when I installed the new stove. I don't think there are any bird nests or bee hives up there but I don't want find out the hard way.
     
  6. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    Birds nests rate higher on the btu chart than wasp/bee nests. Course there is the added fun factor of the later in milder climates.

    ( Note: I think they changed my meds)
     
    OhioStihl and Gark like this.
  7. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Firepit all the way, hope it comes in soon for ya B
     
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Brian, I think I'd need a fire while waiting.
    'Bout to start one right now.:fire:
     
    Daryl and BrianK like this.
  9. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    I was going to go ahead and sweep the flue this afternoon and fire up the Fireview tonight. But we've been on the road all day so it will have to wait for tomorrow. Its supposed to get down into the upper twenties at night later this week so I'm not going to wait for the new stove for our first fire of the season.
     
    savemoney likes this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    We don't blame you at all for not waiting. Keep the wood burning.
     
  11. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Finally (FINALLY!) got the chimney swept this afternoon. Had about half a coffee can of creosote all told. I was probably worried over nothing but better safe than sorry. Also got this year's stacks top covered. We had an old sunsetter retractable awning that we took down at my office last year. It was ten yards old and the frame was shot but the awning is still water tight. Its 18'x10' so I cut it into three 40" strips and had more than enough for this years wood.

    I'll light up the Fireview this evening, it's supposed to get into the 20s overnight this weekend.

    Two weeks till the Ideal Steel comes home.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    And, two weeks and a day for your first report....right? Right?:D
     
    Backwoods Savage and BrianK like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Actually Dave, you might not be far off. Brian can report what he saw in DC.
     
    BrianK likes this.
  14. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Oh yeah, I forgot he was going.
    Most excellent.
     
  15. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Small fire tonight, just a couple kiln dried oak boards. 400 on stove top.
     

    Attached Files:

  16. Oldhippie

    Oldhippie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    2,296
    Likes Received:
    6,531
    Location:
    Ashby Ma
    So when do you insert the Gear Head logo into your siggy?!

    [​IMG]
     
    BrianK likes this.
  17. BrowningBAR

    BrowningBAR

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    2,105
    Location:
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Brian, if you ever get bored, I've got three stove over here that you can load.
     
    Scotty Overkill and OhioStihl like this.
  18. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    14 days and counting. :drool:
     
  19. Oldhippie

    Oldhippie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    2,296
    Likes Received:
    6,531
    Location:
    Ashby Ma
    very cool. So do you just like to be a field tester or do you have interest in the Ideal Steel for size or other features?
     
  20. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Well we really like our Fireview but it just doesn't quite have enough BTUs for our old drafty house. When it's really cold I think I'm running it too hard to keep up. I want to see how the higher BTUs and the longer burns work for us and frankly I like being able to cook on top of it if necessary. I don't know how well the cook top on the Progress works but I remember reading someone saying it doesn't get as hot as they'd like. I think the center burner on this new stove should get plenty hot especially if you remove the center burner ring.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.