Started helping out my sisters family with their wood since I'm all set myself for this year. They had few piles of rounds that have been sitting on the ground for a while, some that me and my BIL cut up together this year, most had been there a couple years. They barely had any of it split yet, and they're planning to burn it this year. My BIL says he hasn't been ahead for a while, the past couple years he's been "splitting as he goes" over the winter. He really needs a cutting buddy, but I think it's hard to find the time anymore. Him and my sister just had thier 4th - finally a girl! I had some maple tops in my 'log storage', so I brought over a load of that. Mostly from dead trees, so it should be pretty dry already. Best I can do. I have another load or two ill bring over next weekend. Didn't get a whole lot done, but we were only at it for about 2 hours or so after the football game. Probably try to knock out the rest of what they have next Saturday. We got probably about a cord split, and half if it stacked. Sorta got my Paul Bunyan race on. We were just trying to get as much done as possible. I did the ash and the smaller stuff and my BIL halved and quartered some of the bigger rounds in the hydro to feed me. My sister and nephews did most of the stacking. My youngest nephew wearing uncle Shawn's hard hat:
That's the way to do it. Gotta love people that look out for family. It will all come back to you more. Good heart is the best. Keep it up.
Nice, Shawn. Way to go. Always good to see stories like this. Helping family stay warm this winter...
Checked on the construction site again today where I got the Saturn load of black locust, hoping for some instant firewood karma... Saw the one guy that was there the other day who said he lived around the corner. I think I saw where he lives too. Might have to give up on that score - he looks like a firewood hoarder too! He had a cube along his driveway with some really nice cribbed ends on it. Might have to tell him about our club if I run into him again! I did get my FHC t-shirts today, so I guess I can settle for that... I'm sure scrounging will get easier after some springtime storms roll through - not as much competition then!
Good of you to help out Shawn. I see you took the new sawbuck with you too. That's sort of an interesting way of stacking the wood too. Hope it works out well.
Good deeds are character builders. Sets an example for the kids. Now help him to motivate and get a grasp on his wood burning needs.
Haha! Yeah it was a first for me too! Luckily it won't have to sit long, since they're burning it this year. He works as a union electrician, and sometimes he's laid off for months at a time. We'll have to hit it hard then to get him caught up. I'd like to start supplying my dad eventually too - I have enough woods and I know he's done me enough favors...