In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What kinda of Bug?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Chvymn99, Sep 27, 2014.

  1. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,756
    Location:
    KC Metro
    I found this while splitting wood this morning. It was in Ash. He and 4 others where moving a little slow in the cool weather.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Banded ash borer.
     
  3. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Uh oh
     
  4. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    It supposed only attacks stressed trees.
     
  5. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Interesting. We don't have any ash trees down here, so I'm not well versed in the ash borers
     
  6. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,756
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Uh Oh.... well they died...That wood been around for about 2 years in block form...I'm just finally getting everything split and stack... So I can move more in...Supposably last year they were discovered here in the county... But I thought the ash borer was green? But if thats it... that stinks...:headbang:
     
  7. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    The emerald ash borer is green, but like grizz said, you have a banded. Some other green bugs can look like the borer, but aren't. I've seen those banded ones AFTER the tree is down.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Chvymn99 like this.
  8. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,756
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Yea, just got done Googling it... Two totally different species.... I'm glad of that...:yes:
     
  9. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I came across some lilac ash borers this spring, those things are freaky-- look like wasps!