In the process of redoing my basement I found these 2 holes under "vents" and then some of the texture sagged either from previous water damage or the dry heat. Anyone have any ideas of a way to cover this area? I thought about redoing it but am worried about the texture matching. Did I ever mention I am really starting to dislike this house?
The finish pattern is created by a brush, similar to a wallpaper brush. Patching in isn't easy on this pattern, the pattern generally starts from one of the room and goes from side to side until it meets the other end of the room. The tough part is matching the texture and plaster (or compound) thickness to match. The brushing is done with a 3/4 sweeping circle motion, one circle into the next. Both of the hole repairs are easy enough to do. Screwing a piece of strapping or any scrap piece of wood inside the hole so that a replacement piece of drywall can be attached. Paper tape the joints using durabond and finish smooth using drywall compound OR, use a piece of blueboard in the repair and finish smooth with plaster. When the repair surfaces are dry then it's time to try and replicate the pattern. I'd suggest wetting the ceiling surface with water prior to applying any finish, the water will help it from drying to quickly so that you can work the area before it begins to set. In your case I'd suggest using drywall compound and remixing a portion of it with water, to make it more manageable. Next I'd apply the compound using a thick nap roller and after you have applied a similar consistency to whats already in place then you can begin the pattern with a wide brush. Be sure to wet the brush with some compound before you begin or it will wipe whats on the ceiling right off. Good luck
There you have it.....words from a pro! The only other option is scrape it all off, clean up the huge dusty mess, and do it again with a spray hopper or finish smooth.
Good advice already given. I do a lot of drywall repairs in my job, but I would not feel confident in that one. If it was me, I would locate all the strapping, use drywall screws with ceiling plaster washers to pull everything that sags tight and go over the whole ceiling with new 3/8" drywall. Patch and fill any low areas that would cause depressions across the field of the ceiling. I would go over it as long as there is only one layer of existing ceiling. There are some nice panels that look like old fashioned tin ceiling panels that look good too, if it fits the décor. Good luck, keep us posted.
Already 2 layers the tin panels is probably the route I'm going to go with. Also we are thinking about ceiling fans to replace the existing lights but... the old lights are 13" × 13" boxes that are recessed in the ceiling with ugly fixtures. I know they make medallions to cover but the bigger ones are gaudy IMO. None of the sheet rock is sagging just the compound that was used to texture.
For the basement, I find that a nice suspended ceiling is easy and efficient. Mostly because any wet spots are easy to fix, and I have quick access to run wires etc. there are some options that don't look like institutions. I put suspended ceiling in our family room. It is under the kitchen and diningroom areas. So glad I did it this way when we ran new wires for the TV, and phones. Easy DIY project.
With that I would go with pulling it down. Do any upgrades you want, then put up a new surface. Lots of options for the DYI person. Some much easier than taping and mudding to get a seamless flat ceiling. Those outdated texture ceilings were good for hiding seams. You could overlay the old ceiling if that textured look isn't too deep, or if you can remove it.
Why not just sand down most of the brush swirls and then trowel on a layer of mud to create a smooth ceiling? I have the same ceiling finish and a needed repair. This thread is great but so far the solutions look difficult.
@Highbeam it's about 650 square feet or so that I would have to do. Unfortunately the walls and floors are all done also. Don't ask why I didn't address this issue first.
I'd patch it in and try to duplicate the pattern as close as I could before doing anything else then give the whole ceiling a fresh coat of paint. You're not out that much by giving it a try and as long as it's close you are the only one that would probably ever notice. Another option is patch it in then put a good heavy coat of compound on with a stomp brush, then paint with a heavy nap roller.
From my past experience it is easier to fit a normal square cut patch over the area and cut the hole to match the patch - then use strapping like noted above. The texture around the patch area will come off with a pump sprayer of water and a wide putty knife - it's messy. You'll have a good sized piece of sheetrock left over from the patches to practice making the pattern
Here's what I was talking about, this would hide most all imperfections if you don't mind the rough ceiling. I did this about 20 years ago, it has been painted 3 or 4 times and one area patched in over along an outside wall as some bees had found a way in and had a huge nest.