In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Quick drying Red Maple

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by JDU, Oct 19, 2024.

  1. JDU

    JDU

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2016
    Messages:
    658
    Likes Received:
    5,564
    Location:
    Perry County, PA
    I use Red Maple almost exclusively for outdoor campfire wood, but took down a big one right beside the cabin and CSS for fuelwood. Was interested in dry time on larger pieces compared to small campfire splits. Wood was single rank top covered, in the shade as cabin is in a Hemlock bottom site.

    Was pleasantly surprised how quickly these fuelwood size pieces dried. A little hard to see my weights perhaps in the picture but the smaller green 5.5 pound green piece stopped losing water weight in 3 months, the larger 10 pound green weight split in 6 months. I split them both and checked with MM, both were 14.1%. Burnt well in the wood stove. I know Red maple is not primo fuelwood, but good info to have if you get behind on seasoning plan and have access to some Red maple.
    DSC02946.JPG DSC02944.JPG
     
    WESF, jrider, ThomH123 and 12 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I love and burn quite a bit of red maple. Yes it dries quick so can be a big help to those who need dry wood quick.
     
  3. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,850
    Likes Received:
    114,798
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I'd take as much red maple as I could. Good shoulder wood.
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,765
    Likes Received:
    215,044
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I love red maple for its faster drying time. I recently split some rounds that were bucked back in May. The bark fell off and after a couple weeks they almost seem ready to burn. Ill stack them up and maybe sell later Winter if need be.

    Most common tree in my state. 1 out of 4 trees are red maple.
     
  5. JDU

    JDU

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2016
    Messages:
    658
    Likes Received:
    5,564
    Location:
    Perry County, PA
    Very common here too, and so far seems to be resistant to all the invasive insects and diseases impacting other species. Hard to find any standing dead except small understory trees. I even tried to kill some by girdling to make some wildlife habitat, and they survived that!