In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Whilst I was splitting…

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sandhillbilly, Oct 6, 2024.

  1. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,747
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    I thought about posting this in Random Obs but I thought it might generate more discussion here.
    so, yesterday while I was processing some of the bounty from Going for the gold today I was taking note of the color of the few logs that were not as dead as the other ones. Kind of a yellowish gold color. Then I thought about mulberry and how yellow it is when first cut. And then Osage came to mind as it too is very yellow when cut.
    So 3 of our biggest hitters in terms of high BTU firewood are all yellow when first cut! Are there others? Are there wood that have a definite yellow color to them that are not high BTU woods?
     
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,766
    Likes Received:
    215,049
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Tree of Heaven has low btu's that has a pale yellowish heartwood, but not like the three mentioned.
     
  3. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,850
    Likes Received:
    114,799
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Black locust has a green/yellow color when fresh cut.