In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hurricane Helene

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by ammoaddict, Sep 30, 2024 at 5:54 PM.

1. ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Who has been affected? NC is torn up.

2. Chud

Chud

3. ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Much worse here and catastrophic in the mountains. Many lives lost up there. Small towns washed away. They got over 30" of rain.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Wow, like WOW!! Sure have to feel for those affected.

5. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

160 known dead

600 missing.

Thoughts and prayers

6. Chud

Chud

7. Chud

Chud

This one took out a service
    IMG_4170.jpeg IMG_4171.jpeg

8. Chud

Chud

9. Chud

Chud

10. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I was just texting a former coworker that works in Asheville NC but lives just over the border in South Carolina. They lost all the large trees at their house, and didn't get their power back until this morning. Supposedly there will be no running water in some areas for at least a month. I was told that the damage up in the mountains is way worse than the news is reporting. Morgues are full, and bodies are stuck in trees where the flood waters left them. Tragic...

11. ammoaddict

ammoaddict

I've heard that too. Kids and adults stuck in trees. I've seen horrible videos on social media.

12. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Why the BS media constantly bombards us with nonstop Taylor Swift/Travis Kelce fluff and downplays the tragedy that happened over the weekend in Appalachia is sickening.

13. ammoaddict

ammoaddict

I'm streaming Fox weather right now. They are showing horrific damage but no bodies.

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

27 years ago my city had a freak flood. My closest friend among several others died. A couple days later I went to town to rent a van so our friend group could drive together to attend the funeral her astranged mother did. The roads were gridlocked. I wanted to jump up ontop of the minivan and yell at all the jerks with road rage because the couldn't buy or rent a pump for their basement and yell "Don't you realize people died!". Back then local news covered it pretty good but national news did not. I felt the same way as you.

A year later flash floods from the canyons that burned down taking all the dirt with them did make national news (must have been a slow news cycle). By then we were living 1/2 time here. A couple months later we were here in this weird fishing shack permanently.

15. fuelrod

fuelrod

YouTube has a lot of by the people reporting. It was a devastating storm. There's lots of fundraising stuff going on for those folks.
    Check out
    He showed a picture of an airport near the effectected areas with 27 private helicopters that just went there seeing the damage and the no/slow federal response to help with rescues.
    The damage and loss is heartbreaking .

16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Thank you fuelrod for posting this. I haven't yet watched the entire video but will after I am done on the forum.

fuelrod, brenndatomu and MikeInMa like this.
  17. Chud

Chud

The old timers in the hills will tell you about living in the valley. You’re good for about 80-100yrs and one day you’re not.
    IMG_4178.jpeg

sms4life, Eckie, fuelrod and 3 others like this.
  18. ammoaddict

ammoaddict

There's people I work with that won't get power until late next week. Our power company services those mountain counties. 90% power outage. It's destroyed up there. I'm 40 minutes away from boone, 1 hour from chimney road, lake lure area, a little over an hour from Asheville. There's people up there that don't know if their family members are even alive. A contractor from Florida spent 15 years rebuilding from hurricane damage. He said as bad as Katrina was. It was nothing compared to this. He said biblical proportion devastation. We need to pray hard for these people and send money to Samaritans purse in boone. They have the connections to help these people.

MikeInMa, fuelrod and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  19. fuelrod

fuelrod

Chud's picture of the old cast iron 1916 flood message sign (IN A FLOOD) really speaks volumes.
    Samaritans purse is the real deal for specific honest giving.
    I believe that they've mobilized or are already there, helping.

Eckie, MikeInMa and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  20. fuelrod

fuelrod

I know this doesn't make this go away for these folks and the contrast between the people well off enough to have a frigging helicopter vs the local affected hill folk, but they're spirit and effort here sure is a good indicator that human nature is not as bad as the (drive by) media makes it seem.
    This is what struck me about the video, not the pretty, fancy helicopter. IIRC that guy flew in from FL to help.

MikeInMa likes this.