In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Learned something new

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Locust Post, Aug 30, 2024 at 8:37 PM.

1. Locust Post

Locust Post

Grabbed a Husqvarna mix oil bottle from the garage. Accidentally grabbed an older one. Bottle for 1 gallon. Stopped at the gas station after picking up a pizza and when I was pouring it into the can it did not look right, very dark. So I checked the web and shelf life is approx 5 years. Going to dump what I have and use a fresher can. I guess I never considered sealed oil would go bad.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

It doesn't typically...was the bottle sealed?

3. Locust Post

Locust Post

Yes it was absolutely sealed.

4. Ohio

Ohio

I would wager that the temperature fluctuations played a role in the oil turning. I have a gallon of amsoil saber and I have only gone through 1/2 gallon since last year when I bought it. I keep it in a cool dark spot, I also pick it up and shake it from time to time. My hope in doing this is that it doesn’t separate. Also amsoil says to use it within two years. Not a problem between all my OPE equipment, it’ll be gone by next year.

There are a lot of forum members who have gone down the rabbit hole of 2 stroke oils. From hearing what they have said at the gtgs they have spent far more time reading about it than I have. I’m sure they’ll chime in. Eggshooterist and Mrxlh come to mind.

I would typically insert a stihl vs husky joke at this point, but… Stihl ultra is one of the worst regarded oils, and it smell awful. I hear the orange bottle is good.

If you could pour some into a clear container and post the pic we could see what you are seeing.

5. Locust Post

Locust Post

Can't post a picture as I dumped it into the gas can. I am not taking any chances, not worth it. Will dump the gas can and mix a new batch, good or bad.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I am just about through a jug of Yamalube 2S that is every bit of 20 years old, and probably more...and the seal broken most of that time, still looks same as the day it was made (has a bluish green tint) and have had zero issues with it. It's not kept in a heated space either, wild temp swings in that garage!

7. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

Ahh, dump it in your car or pickup, it will burn jut fine. I don’t use Husky or Stihl oil, Echo Red Armor is about the only “Oem Branded” oil I would use. I prefer Amsoil Dominator for several reasons that I won’t bore you with. I like Tucker store all my stuff in a cabinet that doesn’t receive direct sunlight. As for the heat, well it’s almost always hot in Oklahoma and I have never had a problem with any oil going bad, or my mix gas for that matter. If I think my mix gas is nearing end of life, it goes in the car or the SXS to be properly disposed of.

wildwest, Ronaldo, Ohio and 3 others like this.
  8. Locust Post

Locust Post

I have been using the little bottles of Husqvarna mix oil for a long time. This was XP which has now been replaced by XP+. It is usually blue but this was almost black. I have one XP+ left from a six pack, then a full fresh six pack of XP+.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2024 at 9:47 PM
  9. Locust Post

Locust Post

To add It is in a garage that could be warm in the summer but heated at 45 in the winter. Just as I am typing this I thought of something. This oil was against a wall (1/2" plywood) and on the other side of the wall in the breezeway there is a frig that could have made that oil quite warm.

10. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

It actually does. The additives fall out of suspension and they can't be shaken back into the oil. All oils, gear lube ect will suffer this fate. Especially if left in building where there are large temperatures swings.

11. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I had some 7 year old gear lube here that had a layer of brown stuff at the bottom just like you see in those vids I linked. No amount of shaking by hand removed it.

wildwest, Ohio, Mrxlh and 1 other person like this.
  12. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

You guys have me second guessing my 2 cycle oil hoarding strategy... Maye 10+ years ahead is counterproductive :confused:

13. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

This is probably (I know I said I wouldn’t bore y’all) the biggest non performance reason I run Amsoil. I order it and it’s on my doorstep 2 days later.

14. Ohio

Ohio

Thanks Steve! Informative videos.

Mrxlh, Locust Post and Eggshooterist like this.
  15. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I used to buy all our oil at once for a 3-4 year supply between orders. Now, I buy it a few weeks before any oil change. As far as 2 stroke mix, I will buy a quart of the amsoil dominator when I'm down to a gallon of mix and mix up a whole 5 gallon pail of VP racing 94 octane small engine fuel. It lasts me a couple years.

Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  16. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Yep.

17. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Sure thing bud. That dude is a Tribologist, oil formulator, and owner of speed diagnostics oil test lab. He's also owner or co-owner of Driven brand oil. He's all data driven.

Ohio likes this.
  18. Ohio

Ohio

I’ve seen some of his videos before. I remember the one about pre filling your automotive filter or not. It was put together well just like the ones you posted.

Eggshooterist likes this.
  19. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

He has another channel. Total seal piston rings. He works there as well. Very cool stuff.

20. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I usually get my oil a gallon at a time and it takes me a few yrs to get through it. I've never noticed it changing in color , viscosity or anything out of the ordinary.