In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Smokeless Stihl (cordless)

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by campinspecter, Sep 22, 2014.

  1. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    FWIW, I got my hedge trimmer (new, display model from a dealership), charger and the Ap160 battery for $300 on eBay about a year ago. I have a lot of hedges and it's great to be able to do a little trimming early on summer mornings before it gets too hot out, but if I'd had to pay retail I'd probably be using a secondhand gas unit instead.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I can definitely see a use for one of those.
    Cutting in the woods just before hunting season, cutting down Russian Olive around the property.
    If it would last that long in Oak, I could cut enough to fill my small trailer, then have another battery ready to go back into the woods.
    $600 for the saw and a couple batteries and a charger. Hmmm, another $120, and I could have a 362.:D
     
    concretegrazer and campinspecter like this.
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Oh. I did not know it was a Christmas gift Alan. Man you have the best gifters!
     
    MasterMech and campinspecter like this.
  4. GrJfer

    GrJfer

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,159
    Likes Received:
    14,075
    Location:
    The Woods of Arkansas
    That would make a great trail saw while out on the 4 wheeler.
     
  5. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    +1 Or the tractor! :thumbs:
     
  6. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    That's a great gift idea!! :) Awesome little saw and a quality made piece (coming from a Stihlhead) ;)
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  7. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I can see it now... "I can't believe I did this, but I was leaning over and managed to knock my chainsaw into the toilet. It's 15 months until I'm eligible for a new chainsaw. How can I get Verizon to replace it under warranty? If I just say it broke while I was cutting up a tree, will they be able to tell?"
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  8. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    Not as bad as putting your foot into that toilet or something with one that's plugged into the wall!:bug:
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  9. cwn877

    cwn877

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,174
    Likes Received:
    4,542
    Location:
    Central Pa
    0508141544.jpg I have this ryobi while not as smooth or sophisticated as the stihl it's reasonably priced and we have the whole line of tools that share the same batteries.
     
  10. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Just like the drills Stinny, the newer Lithium batteries are MUCH better in the cold than the NiCads.
     
  11. jharkin

    jharkin

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,007
    Likes Received:
    3,258
    Location:
    .
    This is quite cool. In my R/C hobbies I have seen first hand that electric power system have gotten to the point with lithium polymer batteries and brushless motors they can package more power for less weight than a 2 cycle gas.

    We have also all seen that high voltage (20, 30 +) cordless tools are now more powerful than corded.

    The only real drawback is run time and waiting on battery recharges vs being able to just gas and go, gas and go. There are battery technologies tha can charge very fast though. Modern liPo and lithium -Iron-Phosphate LiFePO4 (A123 systems) can charge up in as little as 10-15 minutes if you have a charger that can put the big amps needed. To do this in the field though would be tricky, in RC folks drive 1000 watt chargers off small inverter generators these days to run the big stuff.

    Id be interested to hear how your batteries fair in the cold. Ive had LiPos crap out in freezing weather if you dont preheat then. LiFePO4 takes the cold a lot better Ive been able to get those to work at 20F. they are supposed to be good down to zero or lower.

    I could see getting one of these for cutting up brush around the yard so I dont have to deal with gas and hearing protection. Even better if I could find a model that takes my DeWalt 20v LiIon packs.